Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-(

looks like I've broken my skyline already lol

Was at a mates house last night installing speakers and amp, after that she's refusing to start - turns over fine but just dosnt seem to "fire". The battery was a bit flat so we tried to jump start but still, just turns over and over but wont start.

We didnt disconnect anything or mess around with the engine. I think it might be somthing to do with the imobiliser - it has a clifford concept 300 - do you think we might of messed this up when installing the speakers/head unit etc? I noticed the clifford alarm black box was under the dash near the head unit area..

I've heard some of them have a feature which cuts the fuel pump? That would make sense as it sounds like a car with no petrol trying to start. Weird it unlocks and locks fine. dosnt seem to be complaining about things - onlystrang thing is after trying to crank it a 2nd time the red light for the alarm starts to blink even though the alarm hasnt been pressed which would indicate it is somthing to do with that.

Got the RAC out, they tried jump leads etc and had a play but couldnt get it going either. Getting an alarm fitter out today to see if they can spot the problem!

Really hope it is a simple fix with the imobiliser or somthing otherwise I need to find a garage that has a clue, then a way of getting the car there, then spend big bucks while they investigate it :( :(

Not happy, didnt get much sleep last night thinking about it :(

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
have you checked the fuses? I have a clifford on mine and had problems when it ws installed as a couple of fuses went.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we checked all the fuses. I spoke to one installer who says that jump starting it may of fried the alarm unit as aparently going from low to high voltages suddenly can well and truley screw them up :/

Got another guy but he cant come out till this evening and if he cant find anything god knows what I'll do. He recons that cuz the dash all lights up fine and the alarm is chirping then its working fine and shouldnt be that? I'm sure it must be some electrical thing though as we didnt touch anything else :/ Have to find some garage round here that has a clue that can look at it I guess and find a way of getting the car to them :/

This is turning out to be a bloody expensive audio install ;/

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I hate it when things like this go wrong and there is nothing you can do about it :(.

Hope you get it fixed soon mate.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I feel a bit better as I've got the alarm chap comming out tonight to check we havnt ****ed that up. I spoke to 3 alarm fitters who all had contrasting ideas, some said the fact that it lets the ignition lights on the dash come on means the imob. is working fine. Others say it might have the fuel cut off as well that might be gone. One said jump starting it will have fried the clifford "brain" - but if thats the case how come it still disarms ;)

If the alarm guy cant fix it I've spoken to Jez @ Horsham Developments who said I can get the car towed/flatbedded to his overnight and he will have a look at it tomorrow.

So at least I have a path to follow... just annoying..

Speaking of which is it OK to tow a RWD skyline? The RAC guy last night said its a good idea? I guess if not a flatbed will have to be requested. Then they'll probably charge me more as the garage is 20 miles away and they only cover 10 :/ siiiiiigh

·
bla
17,374 Posts
NO.... Dont tow... Tis bad.... Flat bed all the way...

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it is an auto. Flatbed it is then ;/

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RAC CAN SUCK MY FAT COCK.

RAC are ****s
constantly g****ing up
and saying "we have no record of your account" "we have no record somone came out to you last night"
"oh you cant upgrade your package to go outside 10 miles, you need to pay £100 to get the car moved 20 miles"
"ok sir thanks for your £100 they will be there witihin an hour"
phone an hour later
"im sorry sir we have no record of this work being logged"
****S SAKE
took 3 attempts to book a flat bed to come out
started at 8pm, its now 11

The alarm guy came out and tested everything, that seems fine, the fuel pump is working it seems to not be getting a spark, recons the plugs might of gone and its FINALLY been flatbedded to Horsham Dev.

So pissed off at RAC. £300 for **** all, incompetant **** wits. Going to write a long letter of complaint/abuse to them tomorrow as I'm so tired and shattered from chasing them all evening to get the right stuff done at my expense. Absolutly disgusting.

Excuse my pissed off mood I just had to vent after spending another evening trying to sort my skyline. its a sad sight seeing it carted off on the back of a truck :(

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Ahhh mate sorry to hear that. RAC sound like a bunch of tossers, will remember not to use them.

Hope everything gets sorted soon.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, well they faltbedded it into storage overnight so they could deliver it while its light. First thing they said?

Did they ****. its still sitting in storage now.

I feel better though from writing this nice 3 page letter of complaint to the RAC :D

You know a letter is good when it starts with:

"Dear sir/madam,

I am writing to express my high level of disgust and dissatisfaction regarding the service provided to me by the RAC over the last few days. "

:)

Hopefully they'll get their arse in gear and deliver it so the bloody thing can be looked at.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Could it be a case for trading standards? Although there not trading as such they are still taking your money away for a service they are meant to be providing, but doing it extremely poorly....

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Possibly. I've nearly finished the letter, just gonna wait to see waht time it finally arrives at the garage really to find all the facts first. If its some obvious problem that the RAC should of checked that will go in as well.

If they dont reply to my letter with a refund or similar I will escalate it as far as I can. Complete waste of money. Avoid the RAC at all costs

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it didnt arrive till about 7pm, 2 hours after they've shut so I've spent all weekend worrying about what it can be. I've got a bad feeling its somthing major/expensive or they will turn around and say no idea what it is like everyone else has done so far!

Where are the ECU's in an R34 GTT? There where 2 silver boxes in the back near where we installed the amp, wondering if we might of knocked somthing there.

Another theory i've been told is removing the stock radio has taken somthing out of the wiring loom which is telling the ECU that the car has been stolen or some sort of other mismatch and wont allow the car to start. Is this likely? Shouldnt be the case as I've read a guide on swapping the head unit and in fact I had the head unit in the day before and it was working, only died after installing the amp.

Another theory I've heard is that in the back of some cars is an "intertia" switch which comes on when the car is knocked (ie a crash) which disables the fuel pump. does my skyline have one? if so where is it and how can one check that its not that?

And the other one is plugs, it was raining a tad when we had the bonnet open, maybe some water got in? but it wasnt that bad. Also apparently if it was plugs it would of been mis firing etc and not just suddenly stopped working.

Just trying to make myself feel better by trying to find out if it could be somthign simple really!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it's been a long week - and £650 later Horsham Developments have solved the problem. Extensive electrical investigations and some sort of work on the relays/coilpack supplys was needed as well as a new fuel pump.

Picking it up tomorrow, cant wait - its been rubbish not being able to go anywhere! Just buggered as I dont have 650 quid to spend! oww well I guess I'll work somthing out (I hope) ;-/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts