Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hy i was on a national speed limit road and came to a curving road piece on a wet sunday when the arse end started skidding as advised for drifting,the tyres must be gripping so i put my foot down more and nearly went into some railings,i steered for all my worth and just managed not to smash the car up.i definately will not put my foot down more while skidding next time,how can this rear wheel skiding be avoided while keeping up the momentum? to my disapointment i was overtaken by a mercs 4x4 ml65
500bhp 0 to 62mph 5 seconds 07 reg,mine is capable of hitting 60mph quicker but i lost because of the damn skidding:uhoh: what can be done for improvement.please dont say going slowly? thanks

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Melvin, I cannot stress this to you and other members enough:

DO NOT PRACTICE YOUR DRIFTING ON PUBLIC ROADS, WE HAVE SANTA POD PRACTICE DAYS FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Melvin, I cannot stress this to you and other members enough:

DO NOT PRACTICE YOUR DRIFTING ON PUBLIC ROADS, WE HAVE SANTA POD PRACTICE DAYS FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!
I made that mistake in my Z3 a very underpowered car, I came off a corner the wheels spinning, I decided that IT's OK I can carry this off, ERM NOPE the car flicked from side to side and then spun 360. VERY LUCKY nothing coming the other way. From that day fourth I decided attempting to do anything like that is stupid. Hence not even thinking about it in the skyline.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did not practice drifting i just wanted to know why the car was responding this way also this was a national speed limit road and i was doing a very legal speed i definatley dont like drifting if thats what it is,but i think you need to steer in the opposite direction of the way you want to go without killing yourself! it definately would be a good idea for me to attend and learn as you suggested banter thanks.i just wished at the moment there was another skyline there with bigger bhp and drift experienced than me to show that mercs 4x4ml65 what skylines are about!:naughty:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
it's all down to your tyres, the weather, road surface and power of your car. guys we can all get caught out if we give it a little too much into a corner in the damp so give the guy a break he's said he wasn't trying to drift and we've all been told to power thru a slide , using opposite lock. he was lucky he didn't hit the railings, and i think from what he wrote he won't be going into the corners so quick from now on.
i had the same thing happen to me today on a damp section of road ,in a straight line, when the boost cut in. please guys don't jump on someone when they have asked why something has happened that they dont understand

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree with all the comments but to answer a little of your question. You don't really need a high HP car to do so unless you are in competition.

Same rules apply as when you are grip driving "normal racing". The car will go where your eyes go. When the rear begins to slip "don't stare at what you don't want to hit" that is how you end up wrapped around a pole. Most people stare right at it while trying to avoid it.

Look in the direction you want to go and as far out as you can depending on the speed.

When the rear begins to slide out, you may gain control by counter steering.

This means for example, the rear slides out to the left, so now the nose of the car is facing right. So in response you would look up the road toward the direction you need to go to keep the car straight again and turn the steering wheel to the left.

Rear goes left, wheel goes left, Rear goes right, wheel goes right. You do this to gain back control because the actual nose of the car is facing in the opposite direction.

What happens next is what I like to call a whip back. It's when the car responds to your input and begins to straighten out. This is not always a gentle process and can cause you to panic.

Depending on speed the car will whip back in the direction you are looking and steering toward. It is important to pay attention to the feed back you feel from the car. As it straightens out, you straighten out the wheel or you will do the little wig wag back and forth which is very dangerous and nerve wrecking.

Simply let your foot off the gas slightly or fully and steer. Alloy the car to settle and then apply the brakes.

Hope that helps with at least car recovery. There are a few different things that you will do when attempting to drift and make the car slide on purpose. But i think if I post the how to, some people will try it on the street and that would not be good for SOC. I'm sure Big Chief and members would not approve.

Track days are fun, try skid pad and they will tell you the same as above and also give you the rest of the skill that you need to not only recover but to control a continued slide as well.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Good advice Lostboy, But it took about a minute to read, when
in real life on the roads its all over in a couple of seconds,
I do agree with the tip about looking where you want to go
that is some that you have to learn when riding Moto-X or
unknown terrain off road, but its not a thing you can learn by reading
about. its more of a learn by your mistakes technique,
only place to practice safely is on a track or big wide open space.
Believe it or not somepeople will read or listen to advice and go out
and try something stupid. I witnessed a guy a few years back
at a moto-x meeting in doncaster asking my mate how to tackle
the "bomb hole" my mate stokes replied i clutch it flat out in 4th
the guy went out in the next race clutched it and crashed in to
the far side of the "bombhole" bent the forks on his bike and broke
his leg :wtf:
The experts always make it look and sound easy !!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lostboy thats what happened exactly i dont have any ideas to delibaretley drift on public roads this was a very near miss accident.lostboy thanks for the advice though,its helpful to me and probably other newbies here,got to say though i surprised myself the way i steered outta that one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
lostboy thats what happened exactly i dont have any ideas to delibaretley drift on public roads this was a very near miss accident.lostboy thanks for the advice though,its helpful to me and probably other newbies here,got to say though i surprised myself the way i steered outta that one.
Yeah I figured that's what happened. The hardest skill to have is not to panic and just remember what you are tought.

I agree that you have to learn by doing it and having a feel. This also helps with you not freaking out! Still, if it's wet out and you have an open parking lot or you go to the track for skid pad. Try car recovery as explained and you will see.

This can be done on a skid pad or wet open area with as little speeds as 10 to 15 mph. Go 10 mph give the wheel a quick sharp yank along with a bit of gas and then let off and recover. This will help you get used to your cars characteristics.

Best things is to have a more experienced driver with you and an open area such as a skid pad on a track.

Good luck!:nutkick:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Or try a nice wet field with as little dips & bumps in it as possible. Always makes for good fun and no tyre wear. Just need a jet wash after it hahaha.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think i will practice on a track somewhere when i can find the time money.thanks eveyone:bigthumb:

·
Japspeed Drifter
766 Posts
I witnessed a guy a few years back
at a moto-x meeting in doncaster asking my mate how to tackle
the "bomb hole" my mate stokes replied i clutch it flat out in 4th
the guy went out in the next race clutched it and crashed in to
the far side of the "bombhole" bent the forks on his bike and broke
his leg :wtf:
The experts always make it look and sound easy !!

mmm, was that at finningly? the bombhole! fun!
been there and done that! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts