Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, ( not been on here for years but glad to be back home )

My 94' r33 gts-t S1 has developed some faults recently, basicly put the pedal to the metal when overtaking a tractor, she suddenly stuttered, heard the turbo spool down then started choking. I got back in but ultimately ended up with the tractor overtaking me.....the irony.

couldn't figure out the issue at roadside so my bro helped tow me home, started doing alil research etc, bought new coil packs, sparks, checked for vacuum leaks etc. yet she still wasn't running right.

whats happening is upon ignition the engine runs lumpy,rich and after 3-4 seconds stalls itself, ive disconnected the maf and it'l idle smoothly yet soft limiter cut at 2500rpm but stinks of fuel. So decided to drive it to the garage then the clutch dampener went so got a tow down. Clutch issue is solved, I've tried another maf which I bought however no luck with it running better.

If its the maf/afm? does anyone have a functional one I could buy new or used ( but working ) also any tips to try get one of them working. both are green label, my original one ive dismantled and no soldering splits. Or am I looking at the wrong part altogether.

Cheers guys, been without my skyline for a good month now.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
Did you check all the pressure piping for bad joints, or splits that only open up under boost, as it sounds like a major boost leak to me.

·
1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have another gander around pipework etc but with the afm/maf connected engine dies within a few seconds even on throttle it stutters then gives up. Unplugging the afm/maf gives me smoother idle but restricted to 2500rpm but moment I reconnect maf plug, it stalls within seconds. Naturally im thinking its issue with that but not sure how to test the maf properly to determine if both are faulty.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
Other than using Consult or NDS its difficult, is there someone who could let you use their MAF to test with?

·
1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunately I don't know of anyone else around the area who owns a skyline, maybe someone up inverness which is 30 miles north of aviemore. Both MAF's i have give same results.

·
Registered
348 Posts
try unplugging the tps to see if that helps. could be worth checking for resistance in the coil pack loom incase the wiring is damaged. ideally a pressure test on the piping as said it could be only leaking under load enough to cause big issues and bogging. and its idling lumpy as its getting a little bit more than what It thinks. could always spray something like brake cleaner (I think that's what used) over all the silicone hoses and anywhere that there is a join between hoses and hard pipe. then if its there the rpm will increase :)

·
It's not just a skyline, it's family
687 Posts
Oxygen sensor gone bad?

If its stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
has similar symptoms to my rb25, running extremely rich and making all sis spark plugs black to the point it wont run at all, when it was would only rev up to 2k before popping banging and spluttering

I made a boost leak adapter, and i have a huge boost leak through my q45 tb, which is'nt repairable, so waiting on a cheap replacement to get me by. but in my case i have a power fc d-jetro so eliminates the MAF, also noticed it on the boost gauge as only reading 0.2 vac as appose to the 0.8 it should be on idle, hopefully this solves my issues

be careful not to get to much fuel through as now from trying to run tests i think fuels pushing past the rings and into my oil so going to swap that out asap :)

I also diagnosed a faulty ECU coolant temp sensor was a complete dud which was half the battle

·
1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apologies for not replying sooner folks but I've been stupidly busy with work etc. Cars just been sitting there untouched from last week or so, plus I've already gone and got myself another motor as I'd rather have something to drive than nothing at all ( another import but its a toyota.....shameful haha ) . Atleast It'll give me chance to get around and collect parts etc to try sorting the skyline out, I used to use it daily but now Im considering it as a weekend toy if I can get it running properly again.

Also cheers for the input, I'll put it to good use over next few days and see what I come up with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts