Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
big ginger one
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was driving home from work today and noticed when i put my foot down the gears wouldnt kick dopwn as it used to in fack i couldnt get it to kick down at all
also when i put it in overdrive it wouldnt engage and change up
all was fine yesterday very worried incase gearbox is ****ed has anyone got any ideas please

cheers lee

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The things which can affect auto boxes are numerous, but usually it's crap or low ATF, or electronic inputs, you haven't switched it out of power mode have you?

Another regular is the kickdown switch / cable settings, just have a quick squint to make sure those basics are OK before panicking!

Auto boxes rarely go wrong if looked after, and good ATF is paramount in an auto box when used sportingly. Titan 4000 from Opie is the best ATF I've ever used, and my son also uses it in his Audi A8 4.2 Quattro Sport and loves it.

Titan deserves the name, it's light years ahead of the usual hyped ATF's like Castrol etc, it actually removed the slack from our auto box, it feels new again. The whole gear change went upmarket by at least 50% after changing over to Titan, smooth as silk and quick as lightening now.

It doesn't take much in the way of crap in the auto box works to bugger the changes, get it hot and drop the fluid, add Titan and try again. After draining i always drop a litre of some rubbish ATF like castrol etc to flush it through, let that drain again for 10 minutes and fill up.

Aitch

·
big ginger one
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for the replys lads been out in it again and its now kicking down but it wont egage overdrive
when i turn it
on say im doing 60 and the revs are at 5000
if i take my foot off the gas the speed dosnt die but the revs die back to 800
then when i put my foot on the gas nothing will happen till the revs reach say 5000
its like its in sort of neutral

crap discription but its the only way i can put it into words

take it by atf you mean gearbox oil is that right
cheers for your help guys

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yes, your assumption is near enough correct, auto's don't have gear box oil, they have ATF. If it won't engage OD that's almost always an electronic problem rather than mechanical.

The symptoms you describe are similar to two circumstances I've encountered with auto boxes..

The first is when the ATF fluid level is low, so check for leaks and the ATF level, top up as required.

The second is when the torque convertor is on the way out, but that's usually accompanied by wierd noises when you accelerate.

How many miles has the car done?

Aitch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts