Skyline Owners Forum banner

Auto Question: Overdrive & Traction Control

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  nemo 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone

Currently driving an early 94 R33 GTST auto. What does the overdrive button do?

I'm pretty sure i've got the 4 speed box (dash reads 1,2,D....) With the button in the "out" position (dash has the over-drive off light on) the car apears to pick up better!?!?

It it like the BWM auto that drop down 2 gear when you boot it or something else?

pretty sure the car also has a limited slip diff (lsd fuse present) & HICAS (i can see the steering rack at rear). reading post on the forum, is the LSD part of the traction contro system? I'm assuming that what the T/C switch with "power" and "snow" written on it is for....

Is this traction control? With the switch flat, is it off???

Sorry lots more question but i'm still getting to know the rice monster i've aquired! :)

ds

#2 ·
You have a 3speed box plus overdrive, overdrive is basicly 4th gear but it will only engage when button is pressed, it also keeps telling the car to select the most economical gear. You can use it to drop from 4th to 3rd then back to 4th when it suits. If you are a spirited driver I would leave it off untill you reach your desired speed then put it on. The power/snow button, when selected to snow tells the car to pull away in 2nd gear and keeps the revs down to avoid losing traction. When power is selected this tells the car to hold the longer to give maximum acceleration. with switch selected to normal this tells the car do drive normaly but when you floor it diverts to power mode anyway.

#3 ·
Switching overdrive off doesn't do anything that flooring the accelerator wouldn't do, except it STOPS you reaching top gear, so is a very BAD idea if you're wanting to get above 110mph on a track.

Skylines don't have traction control. :)

#4 ·
I find that my Stagea has a very long delay when putting the foot down on the accelerator to kick down whereas switching OD button off creates instant kickdown. Not sure if this is limited to just my car.

I find that switching OD off provides instant kickdown even
at low speeds such as 30mph.... I just switch OD back on once the car has gained momentum, i.e 70 mph plus...

Another good thing is that because my OD button provides instant kickdown without acceleration at most speeds, I can use it when going into a bend as I would change down a gear in a manual...

I've not driven an Auto Skyline yet and maybe my overdrive's behavior is limited to my car only.. Since I've been driving my car on a regular basis, I'm beginning to feel that the Nissan's Over Drive is more complex than just being a 4th gear...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.