Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK the age old question i suspect, but is there any disadvantage having an auto? dose the flappy gearbox work?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
There will always be a divide on this one!

I personally have an auto and love it, the flappy haha aka tiptronic box works fine for me although I tend to drive in A/T mode almost everywhere, there is an pause from putting your foot down to the V6 really firing up but once it goes, it goes...I find personally for me it works through the gearing lovely.

Alex on skyline-owners-club.com has a M/T and it is a different drive, not better just different. I guess its all down to personal preference...............

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
i have the auto and love it. Can leave it it at when you are feeling lazy or stuck in traffic but when you want to have fun or put the boot in, switch it to tip and away you go faster than you can imagine. great fun, even suprised a MT driver with mine ha ha

·
Super Moderator
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
manual for me had a tip R34 and it was just to lazy a box for me, converted it to manual
JM-Imports.co.uk

LOL! guess where i got my Supra from:) flew up to Newcastle to collect mine from Jurgen, top bloke, Skyline taxi as well:)

Going back to the auto manual, also sounds very similar to the Supra, the auto is very good, but i went for a manual in the end, will the 350GT box stay in the lower gears until you decide to change up in the flappy err tiptronic option?

·
Seasoned Member
1,789 Posts
Im in a good position to give a balanced view as i have had both for around 2 years each.

If i was keeping the car N/A or just having a modest S/Charged set up i would opt for the auto/tip. The auto box is good for up to 380 hp super charged if you have the valve body upgrade along with the upgraded torque converter which my auto had done. trouble is once over that power gain you really need manual unless you stick a corvette tranny in it which can hold up to 700 bhp.This has been done in the states.

With regards to what mode you drive an auto in its down to personal choice. I used to have it in auto most of the time but if i was in a driving mood i would shift it into tiptronic.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tom, the intention is to stay N/A however should a cheap supercharger come up, i'm not sure i could resist.

But it also helps to know what the auto can stand should a find one offered with an SC.

There seems to be lots of autos, and very few manual boxes about, so my biggest problem wold be getting used to an auto box after years of manuals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.