Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
f o r u m p r i n c e s s
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past few months I have found it increasingly frustrating to read posts where the spelling, punctuation and grammar is so bad that it becomes unreadable.

English is a basic skill that we should all have and conveying our thoughts in writing is something that most of us were taught from about the age of 4. So why is it that some people seem incapable of stringing a sentence together, using capitalisation only where necessary (using it to begin a sentence would be useful too), and hitting the return key twice to start a new paragraph?

I am not saying that all of my posts are perfect, nor am I suggesting that we should all write like this 100% of the time but I do think that when posting as lengthy reply or initial post, that the time should be used wisely and checking what you have written before hitting post would be a good idea.

I suggest that the Admin team invest in a bolt on spelling, grammar and punctuation checker for all posts.

I am aware that vBulletin do not provide this in their latest forum packages, but there must be a bolt on solution somewhere (I am also aware that some if not all internet browsers provide a similar facility in their settings, although not many people seem to use it). It wouldn't take a great deal of effort for a Linux whiz to write at bare minimum a spell checker.

I honestly believe that this must affect more than one person on this forum.

Please consider this suggestion as my poor eyes cannot cope with the constant ",,," and "Hi There My Name Is Bob". ARGH!

Thank you for reading my post.

CG :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Well it is a mighty finely worded post,with perfect punctuation and grammer.Maybe you should have an edit all posts button? Then we can have you as are spell checker;):)

·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it is a mighty finely worded post,with perfect punctuation and grammer.Maybe you should have an edit all posts button? Then we can have you as are spell checker;):)
Your post should read:

Well, it is a mighty finely worded post, with perfect punctuation and grammar. Maybe you should have an "edit all posts" button? Then we can have you as our spell checker ;):)

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
Your post should read:

Well, it is a mighty finely worded post, with perfect punctuation and grammar. Maybe you should have an "edit all posts" button? Then we can have you as our spell checker ;):)
you missed a full stop on the end.

In all seriousness, I cant think of anything worse, and I can see it driving people away in droves. Although I guess spelling bothers some people that much that would prefer if they didnt post? :confused:

End of the day, some people cannot spell, some have dyslexia, some didnt go to school, some dont care. So what? It's a forum about skylines and that is what is important. I would guess that some of the people who can spell perfectly fine are crap at maths or science for example. Give em a break!

·
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

In all seriousness, I cant think of anything worse, and I can see it driving people away in droves. Although I guess spelling bothers some people that much that would prefer if they didnt post? :confused:

End of the day, some people cannot spell, some have dyslexia, some didnt go to school, some dont care. So what? It's a forum about skylines and that is what is important. I would guess that some of the people who can spell perfectly fine are crap at maths or science for example. Give em a break!
For those who cannot spell, have dyslexia, didn't go to school or don't care, a spell checker would be ideal. They don't have to think about it; simply check it before posting. Not a great deal of effort involved really.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

hi5,that is one of the most thoughtful things i've even seen you post. Now say something blunt and insensitive before the newest members think your a puff!:)

·
Wedding Photographer
3,419 Posts
hi5,that is one of the most thoughtful things i've even seen you post. Now say something blunt and insensitive before the newest members think your a puff!:)

Hes posted a few pics of cute little cats recently too. Im worried Hi5s account has been hacked into:dogpile: :) :slap:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
i think we may have lost him:disappointed: if hi5 aint being blunt and insensitive this place may have changed to much:rofl:

K

·
0 Posts
have to say my spelling and grammer lets me down on occasions 1) because i dont bother looking at the screen 2) becuase its not that good anyway having grown up in Sarf Lundun.

And im an qualified accountant!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts