Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for reference i own a '93 R33 GTS25t with a RB25det. Anyway so today i was driving home from my after school job, its around 9pm so im tired not really paying attention. I come up to a stop sign and brake and my car immediately dies, dashboard lights up, im freaking out. i look down at my water temp and its past hot, i immediately melt just thinking about the possible damage i could've been causing and the money i don't have to fix it... anyway i have some friends help me push it home and when we get there i say im going inside to tell my parents about the nightmare i just went through and when i come back i see one of my friends who "knows about cars" poring water on my engine. im pretty sure i killed him knowing the multiple things he could be cracking at my cost, all i know is i blinked and he wasn't there anymore..... Anyway i guess my question for you guys is, what sort of damage do you believe has been done on this terrible night? im going to swing by the garage tomorrow and see if they have a leak down tester or something because i imagine my head gasket is gone. do you think the trauma was enough to warp the head? Possibly even crack it? This is a dream car for me and i was lucky enough to find it cheap enough to buy as my first car so you could say im somewhat attached to my baby. but im also only 16 and work limited hours with school so its hard to pay for the many repairs ive had to do so an estimate of my damages would be nice....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
most likely head gasket, but possibly a warped head, but more importantly you need to find the cause of the overheating, before you get the damage repaired.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
most likely head gasket, but possibly a warped head, but more importantly you need to find the cause of the overheating, before you get the damage repaired.
Yeah, pretty sure the thermostat went out, given that my hoses were different temperatures.

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
you warp the cylinder head as soon as the gasket blows so skim it with new gaskets and that should be ok for that but find out why it over heated as above.

and go find your mate and waterboard him as pouring cold water on an overheated engine is stupid and idiotic.

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
standard rad?

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
replace it as they are known to collapse in the middle causing no flow even though water will circulate

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
replace it as they are known to collapse in the middle causing no flow even though water will circulate
how would i know if this has happened? i changed my stat and did a flush but didnt get to test it as the garage was closing and i have to leave my car there. what do i do to check if this is the issue?

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
how would i know if this has happened? i changed my stat and did a flush but didnt get to test it as the garage was closing and i have to leave my car there. what do i do to check if this is the issue?
only real way is to get the car running and up to temperature and then feel the rad and see what sections are colder than the rest but the rad will is over 20 years old so a nice new one would do it wonders

1 - 10 of 10 Posts