Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Is it possible to set the base timing with a timing light, without a computer on my R34 GT-T? As I don't have a computer set up for doing this?

If so, has anyone done it before and do you have any advise?

Alternatively, is there a place in Lincolnshire or nearby that you would recommend? Every garage that I've approached so far has said they can't connect to the car because of it being an older computer system / connection

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can do it with a light and there's a loop of wire at the back of the coil pack loom designed for connecting the strobe light pick-up. But most recommend using a fly lead between plug 1 and the coil pack and connecting the pick-up to that. You can use an old plug lead but I hacked something together with what I had lying around.

_lead.jpg _lead2.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply.
I did try doing this already, but my issue has been getting the engine to slow down in idle at running temperature, from around 950/ 1000 revs to around 750/800.

I had to turn the cam sensor to maximum position to get anywhere near the correct timing of 20 deg and find that the engine then starts running lumpy, where the timing is clearly out.

When I try putting the cam sensor back to the original position that I marked up before the cam belt change, it runs nice and smooth but is reading approximately 4 degrees instead of 20 degrees.

Did you have any similar issues? Do you have any advise on how to resolve this please?
Many thanks

·
Registered
683 Posts
bot to sound pedantic but is the cam belt timing 100% spot on have you only had the issue since you did the belt?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you disconnected the throttle position sensor while setting the timing? Also is base timing not 15 degrees?
Tried disconnecting the cables on the throttle sensor but didn't slow the engine down.

Tested for TDC several times. Engine starts and runs fine, just struggling to slow tick over down to 650rpm and set base timing. Want to make sure it is set correctly

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have had the issue since changing the belt, but the cam belt timing is spot on too...?!
sounds suspicious if its only been since the belt was done have you damaged the cas while removing it? if you are adamant that the timing is spot on then has to be something like that. did you have any other parts off while doing the belt? could it be an air leak from somewhere?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Disconnect throttle position sensor then try and set the idle

With it connected the ecu is continually adjusting timing to get a smooth idle while you are adjusting it.

Do that then check you timing with the method goldtooth showed and adjust the cas as needed. Reconnect the tps and you should be good to go

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only parts I've had off are the covers, the cam sensor, water pump, idler and tensioner pulleys, crank shaft sprocket and timing belt covers, spark plug cover, coils and changed the spark plugs.

I had to disconnect the inlet manifold to throttle body and associated hoses to change spark plugs, etc.

I'll re-check TDC and see if I can see the timing marks again as the engine seems to run fine, but just want to make sure before road testing, so not to incur any damage.

Engine isn't nocking, missing or anything. It seems to sound okay... I'm a bit puzzled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Disconnect throttle position sensor then try and set the idle

With it connected the ecu is continually adjusting timing to get a smooth idle while you are adjusting it.

Do that then check you timing with the method goldtooth showed and adjust the cas as needed. Reconnect the tps and you should be good to go
Thanks
Could you tell me how to set the idle as I have disconnected the throttle position sensor wiring but the idle remains between 950 /1k and understand it should be around 650 to set the timing...
Cheers

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Under the plenum there is an idle control valve, you turn the screw to adjust the idle

There's a good write up here on how to do it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts