Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to take the car out of the garage today to take her for a cut... but she wouldnt turn over.... lights came on dash...but went dim when i tried to turn it over.
battery is only 9 months old!!
have not driven it in over a week, but dont think it would drain so quick...alarm/immobiliser maybe?
anyways.... hooked it up to a challenge battery charger i had for a few years, and it read 75%, then flashed down to 50% after 10mins!!!
i lost the instructions for the charger but was wondering does anyone no if all chargers discharge the battery fully before re-charging it??
thanks...any help gratefully accepted
RICK:eek:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ditto to Ru
they shouldn't dis-charge it 1st? Battery on my GTR only lasts a week ish if i don't run it but to charge it up to having enough power does take several hours on trickle

·
Taking control of the drum machine
835 Posts
Car batteries should never be completely discharged. When discharged, the chemical reaction to sulphate begins and shorts the plates.
You can get 'zapper' things - but they are only good to kill lead whiskers. (It's these whiskers that slowly discharge the battery over a few days.)

Like steel and paint - if the paint is left to peel, the steel will start to rust pretty much over night - once it starts, it'll spread fast.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If or when you get the car running do a volt test between the battery and alternator, anything less than 13v and you're not charging it properly which could explain why its drained so soon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
also, to check your battery you'll need to do a discharge (or 'drop') test. Like previously stated sometimes if a battery has discharged beyond a certain point its knackerd.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just been back in the garage.....its at 75% now!!!??? ****in dumbfounded!!
thought it was fooked like most people had said...................
anyways have it on trickle all the cell caps off and shone a torch in there not much happening except for a hydrogen bubble popping up every minute or so.... which sounds good from what i have been reading on japlar battery forum........
might leave over night and see if it tops out....
as long as missus doesnt go in and spark up a ciggie!!:crazy:

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
My battery got flattened (mucking about the the f-con with ignition on for too long etc. and the cold weather) and even though it appeared to charge okay it was knackered - got stranded at Gatwick short term car park :mad:

It would flatten in about 1 - 2 days. Got a new one now and all is well. :D

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
i would be highly suspicious of readings of % charged,how does it know if its charging a 25ah battery or a 125ah? ,a normal charger uses a peak voltage reading to determine how much charge is in the battery,although this is also missleading to a certain degree.

i recently had a battery from an mr2 that read 7volts because the head unit was left on for days,it took three days of charge cycles to bring it back to 12.4v and hold a charge, i put the charger on and left it for a few hours till it had reached its peak volatge,then turned the charger off and let it settle to the floating voltage,then another charge cycle,then a rest to floating voltage,and on and on!
works fine now
i always monitor voltage of the battery at the terminals with a voltmeter,not the charger display

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks koh....
done the voltage check... getting 10.6??
also before i removed battery from car ..i was getting a 9-9.5v reading from the voltmeter in the car... enough to prime the fuel pump ...electric ariel up...mirrors out etc... but not enough to turn her over.....
i must say tho there was quite a bit of condensation on the battery when i removed it.... bloody leaking tail-light...
my suspisions of where the drain is coming from could be moisture grounding the battery in the boot.... or am i talking bollocks..as water isnt a great conducter:crazy:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yeah...
forgot to mention battery is 45ah... is that too wimpy for a skyline....
when i replaced it 9 months ago ,i just put same speck as was in it..?:crazy:

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
standard size battery is **** if not backed up with a solar trickle charger,they only seem to last any sensible amount of time in cars that are used everyday and are driven long enough to put decent charge back into the battery after starting the car

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my battery isnt worth a toss so...
what ampere should i be using??
all this solar panel stuff is a bit behond me im afraid!!:crazy:

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
you can fit most car batteries in the standard locationbut most of the time it means fitting the uk standard size terminals as the jap ones are a few mm smaller,or you can stay with the crap size and back it up with a trickle charger,neither of these options is a long or hard job to do
or you can go for the third option of buying a battery about once a year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts