Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gus I have searched everywhere online and in this form but am finding conflicting info.

Is it true you can use BCPR6es spark plugs in a rb25de, it is my understanding you can but they wont last as long? Can some one please confirm this?

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Not last as long... as what?!
BCPR5ES-11 iirc is the plug used for the DE engines, you won't need to go for heatrange 6 unless you've got a fair few modifications under the bonnet.
The lack of the "11" in BCPRxES denotes a 0.8mm gap, the "11" denotes a 1.1mm gap. Because there is no boost, the 1.1mm gap will be fine but I can't see any harm in using the plugs with a 0.8mm gap.
NGK BCPR range are copper plugs and factory fitted to RB powered Skylines... there is an alternative of Iridium or Platinum plugs (considered long life) and they are designed solely for use in engines where the plugs are hard to access. You can use them but it's like throwing money away....
There is zero performance advantage to using them and they cost 4-5x the price of copper plugs.
I've just replaced the plugs in my 32, copper came out and copper went back in... I honestly can't remember how long it's been since I fitted the last set but it's a good few years at least.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not last as long... as what?!
BCPR5ES-11 iirc is the plug used for the DE engines, you won't need to go for heatrange 6 unless you've got a fair few modifications under the bonnet.
The lack of the "11" in BCPRxES denotes a 0.8mm gap, the "11" denotes a 1.1mm gap. Because there is no boost, the 1.1mm gap will be fine but I can't see any harm in using the plugs with a 0.8mm gap.
NGK BCPR range are copper plugs and factory fitted to RB powered Skylines... there is an alternative of Iridium or Platinum plugs (considered long life) and they are designed solely for use in engines where the plugs are hard to access. You can use them but it's like throwing money away....
There is zero performance advantage to using them and they cost 4-5x the price of copper plugs.
I've just replaced the plugs in my 32, copper came out and copper went back in... I honestly can't remember how long it's been since I fitted the last set but it's a good few years at least.
Cheers thanks for the info very helpful. I have 6 bcpr6es-11 plugs, Should I try to get the bcpr5es-11 plugs or will the 6's be ok? I had to try to pick them out by my self as the guy at the store said he would not sugest anything other then the Iridium plugs for a skyline...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does anyone know if it is safe to run the cooler plugs? What difference would it make to an unmodified engine?

Edit:

I got the rights plugs

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
using colder plugs in a std engine will most likely start to cause starting and idling issues due to the plugs not burning off the carbon contamination that will build up through them never reaching the desired temperature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts