Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard mixed reports about owning and running a Skyline. Even someone selling his cos he was worried when he saw how much he had spent on it.

A 4 door R33 GTS25T is what I am getting. Now please be honest. Will I be shocked by running it i.e. maintenance, day today running, repair etc; cos I didn't think it would be THAT much.??!

Please be honest as with the family I have to be sensible about it all but I really do want it !!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Storm,
A completely standard one will need the oil changed every 6 - 10k miles depending and sparkplugs once a year at around £70 for a nice set of irridiums. Cam belts etc every 60,000miles so if its not been done that may come round quite quick.

I can only speak from my own personal experience but Ive had mine for 3 years (and around 70k miles) it doesnt break down or eat through tyres, it still has the ones i put on it 2 years ago this month it even does around 28mpg if you dotn go bananas in it

I would imagine the costs youve heard mentioned will be those associated with tuning parts but these costs are entirely down to individual choice

Paul

E

·
0 Posts
Ive had mine a year. Its never let me down,starts 1st time & all ive had to buy is...

4 tyres
New radiator
New (recon) starter motor that i didn`t even need!!!
New battery (doh not starter)
Front brake pads
&
New clutch (pending)
All in less than £1000
spent in a year on a car thats got 106,000 miles. Not bad i reckon.
Basic service of oil & filter can be done on the drive for peanuts.

People think skylines are expensive to run & obviously they can be but if you buy parts from the right places you can keep prices right down.

Its modding that costs the money really

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Ooops... forgot about having a rad...

Paul

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Storm

I have had a string of Japanese performance cars, GTiR,s, EVO, Scooby and now the GTS-T and the Skyline is most certanly the car I have spent the most on. For one simple reason, once you climb into one of these addictave machines you will just want MORE!!!!!!

Thats not so say the others are bad to start with, its just the Skylines have sooooooo much tuning potential. On my other cars with some medium spend you can approach 300 brake, but with the GTS with very little spent it was nudging 300brake. however with some more of a serious investment, but still chickenfeed compared to the GTR guys and gals, I am hoping to end up with a car that makes 350brake........at the hubs!!!

To quote from Mad Max " Speeds just a question of money, how fast do you wanna go??? ":D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Old Member
814 Posts
You don't even have to buy Iridium plugs, the platinum ones will do nicely for normal tune, she'll still burn rubber and turn you round quicker than you can think !!

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Solid motors

Mine's not let me down once in the year i've had it. Ok, once I left the lights on and flattened the battery but that's not the car's fault!

Only thing it's needed which you couldn't call routine maintenance is having 4 exhaust manifold studs replaced. Rod told me this is common on the RB25 due to the bending of the long exhaust manifold during the heating/cooling cycle.

Get your fingers down to the front and rear studs; if they move at all your looking at roughly £400. Nice.

Blueprint front pads were £45 and are just as goo if not better than the Nissan ones in before (honestly).

I've spent quite a bit on it but not on getting it fixed.

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
Think its a general rule with these kind of cars that the tuning is the expensicve part of ownership. Once you start though you cant stop. I think we all will agree there.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I've only had mine for about a month now and have changed the oil once which cost me £50 excluding a filter so need to do it all again very soon and changed the plugs twice as the originals were dead, the replacements were crap and the second set of replacements are also not brilliant but will do for now. Other than that nothing much I've had to do to it. The clutch will go which will be EXPENSIVE on the GTR but on a GTS-T I wouldn't reckon it should cost much at all. Put it this way to sum it up I'm 20 and was earning £15,500 a year and I can afford IT, a house, 42" wide screen TV and still afford to eat, drink and go out a couple of times a month. Not bad at all and I've got a GTR so GTS-T should be no shock provided it's in good nick.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Have you looked at insurance costs?

Seeing as you asked :D I had a renewal through today from Liverpool Victoria for £685 (+ 5% Insurance Premium tax - WTF??) for the GTSt. They seem more than happy to re-insure my modified import :cool:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Moschops

Liverpool Victoria??

When i got my car in JUNE they said the only GTS listed was a non turbo automatic?? Have they changed thier policy??

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Just

checked thier site and it says quite clearly that they dont insure imports or modified vehicles????

Whats that all about then?

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Originally they only had GTR listed and that's what it was insured as, so after a while I queried it saying it's a 2.5 not 2.6, only one turbo, 2wd etc.

Got a letter with amended details and a nice cheque for £180!

Actually doesn't mention turbo or auto and the years 1 out :rolleyes:

(this was on todays renewal letter btw)

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL, very true. The Cortina has changed a hell of a lot from when I first bought it 6 years ago ! If it wasn't for the plate, you would swear it was a different car.

If I boot the Volvo 850 it can be very thirsty !

Insurance on the Skyline with all mods listed £990 FC protected from A-Plan.

Volvo with it's mods is £450 FC pro with A.Flux atm and the Corty is £200 FC Pro with shed loads of mods (best price around), also A.Flux. However AFlux quoted me £1200 on the Skyline.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts