Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching the forums for an answer to my question but all the threads were about the european fuel and the higher octane gas they have :-/

The highest I can get here is 91 octane fuel. Will it hurt the vehicle to run this or will it just have less performace than it normally would? If it will hurt it over time what issues am I looking at?

Also we do have a place that sells 100 octane race fuel but its like $5.50 a gallon. Will it hurt the vehicle if I am switching back and forth just getting this more expensive gas once in awhile? Will it hurt the vehicle to put this fuel in now that it has been running on 91 for about a year?

Thanks for any help.

Greg

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I can't answer all of your queries, but I would say put a couple of gallons of the 100 in and fill up with the 91 until you get more answers. I would not like to run ours on 91, our Toyota RAV4 even splutters on 95!

However, the saving grace with the Skyline is that the ECU does learn, so over time will have adjusted the timing for the 91, as it will do if you put a different grade in now. It is possible to reset the ECU to force relearning quickly should you change fuel and want a quick result, but over a an hour or so it will do it automatically anyway.

Aitch

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
America has a different rating; we use RON but I think they use the average of MON and RON so that, for the same fuel, America will have a lower number.
yup, US 91 ron is pretty much the same (a little higher in fact) as our 95 RON, which i know some people run their (stock) cars on ok. I wouldnt worry too much.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok well thanks for all the help everyone it is very much appreciated. I will definitely take a look at the link bloke.

Just a few more questions. In that hour that the car is adjusting is having 100 octane fuel or vice versa (going from 100 to 91 instead) going to cause any issues for the motor?

Also I have an RB25DET in a silvia with a standalone apexi unit. Because it was tuned in Japan I am assuming that this vehicle would not automatically switch itself for the proper octane correct?

oh also is it bad to use octane boosters and if so what kind. I found a post here about some sort of octane pills but the only vehicles I have used octane boost on is in offroad vehicles as this is the only thing I thought they were acceptable for. Please educate me again guys :).

Thanks,

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts