Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I replace all the 3 belts in one go, or just do the ones that need it. Ive just purchased a HKS belt for the water pump thats in need of a change ASAP but should i order another 2 for the AC and Power Steering? :confused:

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
if its just the one needing replaced then yes just do it mate although a lot of peaple will dissagree with me but why an hks one? as before i bought my car all 3 auxillery belts were replaced and cost the grand total of.....£12

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have that knowledge or the tools, so ive got my belt but im guessing they will try and rip me off for fitment. how much should a decent garage charge if im providing the belt?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
this is so easy you have to know someone with a couple of spanners that could do it,it takes minutes to change the belts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont u have to remove a fair few parts to change them...then theres the tensioning....if that gets done wrong...theres thousands of pounds worth of damage to the engine :(

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
with the accosory belts the worst is the belts could slip,so you just tighten them a bit

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
which one is actually the cam belt as such, as from diagrams in the manual its not very clear to me, i see the power steering, water pump, alternator and air con.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
none of the ones you can see outside the engine are affected by the cam belt,or are you wanting cam belt changed as well?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont think its had a cam belt change in 65000 miles. id say its pretty critical. will the hks fine tune timing belt ive naively bought replace my cam belt (24999-AN001). the instructions are all in jap *sigh*. sorry for the noob questions

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
if the hks is 1inch wide with teeth on its a timing belt,if no teeth its a auxicialllary belt:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so its definatly a timing belt as its got teeth on it. so by timing belt its my cam belt? ahh, so how much will they cost to fit as half the engine will have to come out will it?

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
No its not that half of your engine has to come out! Of course it´s a little bit of work, but not stripping off the whole engine or engine bay. Timing belt is cam belt, yes. And with that you´re right by saying that you should definately not mess around with the tensioning if you don´t know what you´re doing as that WILL end in an engine damage!

so take the timing belt and find a good garage to fit it or maybe someone from here who is near your house and willing to do the job - for a beer of course (should be a bigger one!) :40oz:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah my mate said he would if it was an ordinary car, but didnt wanna risk breaking it lol. i said fair enough. i believe theres a decent garage in lincoln that other skyline owners have been to before. Newton and bailey i think.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so its not the most expensive place anymore. but it aint the cheapest either. as long as im not getting ripped off il pay the 237 for em to do it. just seems a lot expecially when im providing the most expensive belt

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
so its not the most expensive place anymore. but it aint the cheapest either. as long as im not getting ripped off il pay the 237 for em to do it. just seems a lot expecially when im providing the most expensive belt
this might sicken you then mate i done the belt myself and took me 6 hours as i painted bits as well as fitting a camshaft and cost me...£14 for the timing belt which was a genuine oe jap one.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
yeah my mate said he would if it was an ordinary car, but didnt wanna risk breaking it lol. i said fair enough. i believe theres a decent garage in lincoln that other skyline owners have been to before. Newton and bailey i think.
150 sheets for the cam belt there fella, plus the tensioner bearing and another bearing for the life of me I can't remember. Obviously providing the parts.

Longhairedboy had his done there last week or so ago.

Going to book mine in when it arrives.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah he referred me to a garage in newark. its booked in for the 10th so im praying the belt doesnt go poof before then,lol. might take my ebc yellowstuff pads and 5.1 fluid along and get him to do them too while its there. depends if my mate has stopped being 'busy' n gets off his arse. i wanna help so then i can learn.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
yeah he referred me to a garage in newark. its booked in for the 10th so im praying the belt doesnt go poof before then,lol. might take my ebc yellowstuff pads and 5.1 fluid along and get him to do them too while its there. depends if my mate has stopped being 'busy' n gets off his arse. i wanna help so then i can learn.

Pads are easy mate, Did mine myself. IF you want a hand just ask. although this time I know in advance the front brake pipoes are not flexible DOH !!!!

Can you give me the name of the place in Newark for the cam belt and price !!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
already sent ya the pm mate. the price is 290, but this includes the 3 auxilliary belt parts and labour, plus the tensioners and pulleys n s**t. minus the price of the belt which im providing.just glad it will be in good hands.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts