Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all so the plan was to get my headlights retrofitted as I am not happy with the front headlights on my R33 GTR. They are stock and using regular bulbs. I decided not to go the retrofitting route in the end as I want to keep the headlights stock givin how much they are worth. I am also not willing to risk damaging the lights from posting them away given the age of them.

I used to have a HID kit for my dipped beam that I was impressed with untill but after 10 or so years that died and I went back to regular bulbs.

High and low beams on stock bulbs are terrible and it hardly lights up the road at all and actually makes driving quite unsafe and difficult in dark conditions. I would like to upgrade either the bulbs or to another HID kit.

Can you guys please either recommend a decent HID kit for a R33 GTR or direct replacement bulbs for High/Low and Sidelights. Please keep in mind I'm going for function foremost and don't care for lights that are blue and probably illegal. I want a bulb or HID Kit that will give me the best performance. Looking for a really decent replacement and don't want to have to send my lights off to have them cut open to be fitted with xenons for example.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
I had several HID kits on several cars and recently went LED bulbs, and they are way better than any HID I have seen, but you do need a bulb that is adjustable to get the beam pattern correct, even went through the last MOT without comment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had several HID kits on several cars and recently went LED bulbs, and they are way better than any HID I have seen, but you do need a bulb that is adjustable to get the beam pattern correct, even went through the last MOT without comment.
They sound good do you have any details or links/pics etc that you could share please?

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Sorry don't have a Skyline any more so didn't use in that, but they work very well on dip and main, and since the 33 is not CANbus there will be no errors.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well finally fitted these to my GTR and what a difference. To anyone thinking of doing this unfortunately they are not road legal and from talking to a tester any car that has enclosures made for halogen bulbs much not fit anything other than halogen. So no leds or xenon. That being said I had xenons in mine for over 10 years and never had any mention of this so I'm guessing that as long as the beam pattern is ok most don't care?

How have you guys got on with mots recently and leds fitted any issues from the test? I don't really want to have to swap more things over come mot time but I will if I have to.

Also as usual it's a bit of a nightmare of a job to get these in. I had to remove the washer bottle as well as my air filters to get access to the dipped bulb area each side. Once out they fit in and you will need to tuck all the led wiring in around the leds in order to get the OEM dust cover back on that only just fits with some fiddling.

The difference huge and I have also done the mod where my main beams stay on with dipped so now I can actually see.
Atmosphere Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Always sideways
4,278 Posts
That first picture makes it look like you're going to very popular with other drivers and the local constabulary! Do these have a beam pattern at all? :oops:

I have had no issues with my xenon retrofits during four MOTs at two different local garages, but the cutoff game is strong with mine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That first picture makes it look like you're going to very popular with other drivers and the local constabulary! Do these have a beam pattern at all? :oops:

I have had no issues with my xenon retrofits during four MOTs at two different local garages, but the cutoff game is strong with mine.
Yeah that's exactly what I throught. They do have a beam pattern but I'm going to try and adjust them as much as I can. If anything they are too bright. I don't want to blind other drivers. I may try these in the full beam and try a hid kit for the dipped as I had no issues with my HID's before. It's either that or try and go for whatever is the best halogan bulbs available are to be road legal with a proper beam pattern?

·
Always sideways
4,278 Posts
It is a difficult situation because I know first hand the difference between the original and the retrofitted headlights but I remember you saying you didn't want to modify your original units. I felt that while the retrofit didn't keep the OEM look of the lights, it was a small price to pay for the increase in safety by being able to see further than ten yards in front of me when driving at night! Also, because I paid to have the work carried out professionally, the light pattern and cut off is far superior to the original lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts