Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my K&N with Apexi Power Intake, and i realised the *woosh* sound is much weaker which i assume means there's lesser air flow...

Would there be a best position for the apexi power intake to grab more air flow??

·
bla
17,374 Posts
normal position will do fine mate, then make up a cold air feed from the front bumper to the filter :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i did do a cold air feed already using the stock one...Is it the more *WOOSH* you get the more air flow you get??? or its not??

·
Registered
760 Posts
The woosh noise you are refering to is the turbo stalling when you back off, its putting the blades in the turbo under pressure! This is not a good thing an this is why a dump valve should be used! Type m is right, you should run a proper cold air feed from the front some where to the air filter, then you can also make a metal surround, seperating the airfilter from the engine bay, keeping it as cool as poss!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually sorry the *wooosh* noise im referring to is not the backing off of throttle im talking about... im talking about the noise where the air flows, its just much weaker, also i do have a dump valve...its just that the apexi power intake is much weaker than K&N in sound, so im just concerned if this means the air flow is weaker as well???

·
Seasoned Member
7,044 Posts
i know what you mean i had thew same with mine you are refering to whosh noise of the intake sucking in the air when you are excelerating.
as far as i am aware its normal.
i was told on here the apexi intake is the preferd for best filtration.
http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66318
check the link.
and the rest as GtstTypem said

·
R33 GTST Owner.
244 Posts
the apexi does give a little woosh when you let off aswell, even with the stock dump valve installed!

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
the apexi does give a little woosh when you let off aswell, even with the stock dump valve installed!
Only with stock/ recirc in place - that is the sound of recrirc'd air going back in to the system!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive got a "Blitz" B.O.V with the Apexi Power Intake...Am i supposed to expect not much of a sound then??? thanks so much by the way for replies

·
Registered
760 Posts
Sorry mate, thought you were on about the noise when you back off! In which case the noise you are talking about means f**k all when talking about air flow, the apexi power intake was voted the best air filter in a test a while ago, not sure if it still stands, but it obviously means its good! The K&N is probably quite good on the chav cars like the saxo's an corsers an stuff but personally i wouldnt put one any where near a jap motor! You are running the same set up as me an its fine! I know you get use to noises but you will just have to get use to this one mate!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol thanks for your advice loz dog...not a issue getting used to it, the issue is there is no noise to get used to like the air sucking sounds which i personally found quite cool...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts