Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says other than having to T-Cut (which I dont want to do) whats the best way to remove exhaust stains from the rear of the car? Mine is a white GT-R so it oftern has that horrible staining appearing on the rear of the car :(

·
Seasoned Member
465 Posts
Tar remover may do the job, but personally I'd be more inclined to go with a mild polishing compound

·
Registered
361 Posts
hi all, well i wouldn't recommend wax as wax is just a protection, you need something with a cut in the polish, i would try clay barring first then a polish/compound with slight cut,

after all is removed then wax to protect the area and the wax will also provide a good barrier to help prevent the dirt sticking again,

also regular washing of the area to keep on top of the carbon patch, as you don't want to be using compound every time,

·
Seasoned Member
9,055 Posts
*cough* thinners to remove the stain, then a decent polish, followed by some heavy waxing..... clean as !

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
AS g101, diluted obviously. spray on mid car wash, then just rub your sponge/mitten over the area a few times, rinse.
Job Jobbed

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use autoglym wheel cleaner and when done apply good coat of wax. The best way to keep it off is of course wash off the rear at least once a week and even better after you have been out in your car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why would you want to 'cut' through it and remove small layer of lacquer every time it needs cleaning is beyond me. It's not paint damage, it's stained and dirty, no need to remove your lacquer to clean it...
All you need is a heavy duty multipurpose cleaner, I got a bottle from my local car wash/detailer, spray it over and it comes off without touching it.

Ask at your local good car wash, they may give/sell you a litre of their concentrate, it does wonders.

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
Clay bar. Then try auto finesse mercury metal polish ...

I detailed a range rover at the weekend Stainless exhaust needed done , i had bought cheap clay bars from eBay £3.15 , think from seller in Hong Kong. tried and tested clay bars on the detailing forums and they work a treat did the whole car tar spots everywhere and then finished off cleaning the Stainless exhausts

Gave the exhaust a good clean with the auto finesse mercury after came up so nice...

·
Registered
45 Posts
sounds stupid but water down some wheel acid and then wash the area with your normal car shampoo water, work's a treat and mines pearl white.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wanted to get rid of the swirls, so did the whole car with Megs ScratchX 2. Lifted out the swirls and some bigger scratches plus the horrific exhaust stains. Looks lovely now :)

I must remember to move the car forward while letting it warm up in the garage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts