Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RB25 and RB26 alike seem to be able to produce huge ammounts of BHP but what about the lets get our skirts off the tarmac and go stuff aka the torque.

I notice a lot of the cars who run big HP applications usually extend the rev limiter and thus gains in BHP are possible.

Example. Project X ( 32 ) not exact figues

8xx bhp but 5xx torque

What about concentrating on some more torque, surely this is worth some pursual. I think this is a good argument why twin turbos setups are still a valid arguement on a car.

More than this and we have the lag times involved.

Personal feeling of a car with loads of torque and a medium ammount of BHP would be awe enspiring. it would get up and go and come on song perfectly.

Do many people have experience with developing or has someone done a lot with torque on the RB engines.

Whats the most "recorded" currently ?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buster BloodVessel ?

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
my car is away being built at the mo ready for the summer. I wanted a car to drag in but not having money to burn, I was not going to be able to compete with the big boys...but, as I dont like to lose, I have tried to think of ways around the lack of dosh...torque is good good good...but, if you look back to Si of the Norris Evo at ten of the Best, last year. Didnt he keep breaking the driveshaft because of the amount of torque running through the car??? may be wrong on this...

·
Registered
34 Posts
indeed he did lise.

now he has his evo RS they have a rally diff and iron casing so much stronger. have you seen his latest car? totally mad...700 bhp evo but it has nearly 650 lbs ft T!!

Torque is the way froward and I looking at getting the power fc to swing the cams to look for more torque.
I think a 500 horse gtr with 500lbs torque will be just as quick on the road, if nor quicker off the mark, than a 550/600, 400 combination.

More Torque please guvnor!

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Talk

I think you would be lucky to get an equal match like that, I think the most I have seen is a difference of 70 between torque and BHP .. but a GTR with 500lb torque would be awsome on the road... new tyres every month..

·
Registered
34 Posts
there is one coming

out soon from abbey running on SS GTs and cams etc...
look at diggler...he got some 500 lbs torque but then he did have 600 horse as well!!
God knows what he will come back with on the 2835s!!

It is weird tho about the rb26 and it is to do with the shorter stroke of it....even gary's old monster done 715 bhp with early 500s in torque.
still massively quick then!!

n

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Would be

Nice to see one with torque to match BHP...

·
G-SPORT DRAG GTS
231 Posts
Im currently building my gts motor up with a bias on torque output for fast acceleration and better driveability.
G.

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
torque talk

My car has been built for torque by Rod Bell, I dont have any figures but its due to go onto Gforce Rolling road on the 15th of this month...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Last engine 338bhp/330lbf
Then 386bhp/378lbf

New engine 650bhp/580lbf ........ well we can all dream :)

You have to watch for to much torque coming in down to low in the rev range even in the GTRs but especially in the GTSt and yes it can put a dramatic load on transmission ......... dunno if thats what popped NDs diffs but it was very spectacular to watch ;)

On the old phrase note I always liked this one

BHP wins arguments, Torque wins races.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It seems in the last few years people are now coming to terms with the fact that torque is just as (if not more) important as bhp. Patronising opening sentence I know, but talk of torque is much more common now amongst tuners and enthusiasts, and expressions such as "driveability" are mentioned more in customer/tuner consultations as opposed to solely being about power.

I say if the car is to be used for drag, then the transmission and tyres should be uprated to deal with, and use big torque. For fast road/occasional drag use with road tyres, huge torque is probably quite a risky tactic. The RB seems very happy to rev, so why not use a few more revs to increase power? The tyres will have a chance of gripping, the transmission should stay in the correct number of pieces, everyone's a winner! Plus you'll win with "I've got more power than you" arguments! :guiness:

·
Registered
796 Posts
id look for drivability than an out and out drag car which is what most skyline owners gear their cars towards.. Im inspired by the balance and response of the mines R34, so in someways when I begine modifying ill try and replicate as much a poss their engine mods.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Bloody hell, bump an old post or what...Smootster...aint heard from him for years.
Its that old I am getting E mail notification of posts....:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts