Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Newbee here, and im not even an owner yet, but im planning on changing that in the next week or so.

Now i know this is a long shot but just thought id ask as i have only just found out....im buying an r33 gtr very soon and going to look at one tomorrow evening, a v-spec one. As i have never brought a jap car befor and only know what i have learnt in the last 3 weeks it would be wise to take some one with me who knows more about these than i do. I was going with a friend but he is now unable to come with me and i know no one else who knows more than me about skylines, so....does anyone live in the notts area and fancy coming with me to look at an r33 gtr v-spec to give me their oppinion? Im not going to be buying, just looking / test driving as i have made that clear to the seller but a seccond oppinion would be usefull because as far as i can see, this is the one i have been waiting for. Also i have never been in a skyline and read on here that even the bad ones can feel good so the oppinion of someone who knows would be valuabe to me, allthough its only done 29000 km's so im assuming its perfect, he said it is and it looks like it is from pics.

It is in leicester so only down the road and ill pick you up from your place at about 5:30 / 6:00, prob be about to hours and i'll pay you for your time..

Like i said im not expecting anyone to be able to at such short notice but its worth a shot!

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
has the car any uk history? If so call thd garage that did thd work to give u some background on it or pay them to check it over.

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right then! Just got back from veiwing it, wow, the interior and exterior is imaculate! Not a wear mark anywhere on the inside, original steering wheel spotless, gear gator immaculate, gear knob very slight wear on the embossed "gate" on the top of it, so this reflected the mielage of 30000 km. Also had a good look underneath, it couldnt have looked cleaner!

He started it up and it pured beautifully, oil pressure approx 3-4mm above 4bar, no unusual noises from engine (with head under bonnet) on tick over from cold and when it had warmed.

Just a few questions though,

Oil pressure, when the engine was warm the needle dropped to dead on 4 bar, when we were driving round it fell, then fluctuated between 4 bar mark and as low as the last notch on the gauge, is this normal? Could it be because it needs some oil in it, or is this a simptom of engine wear that would not warrant the milage on the clocks?

Clocks, these looked factory, but they were nizmo clocks, were these standard in the gtr v-spec?

It had two gauges up the a pillar but these were not wired in, the 3 gauges on the center console-the boost one worked fine (he didnt take it above 5000 revs because it was dark, wet and in built up area but was very impressive upto 5k, didnt see the torque gauge move but i dont think he drove it hard enough for it tho (given conditions) but the other concern is the oil temp gauge didnt rise above 70 degrees, we didnt go for a lond drive because time was limited but the engine temp had gone to normal (half way) is it normal for oil temp to stay at 70 under light driving for only 10 mins?

But the car has had some moneu spent on it recently, a massive blitz frount mount that looked very expensive, at least a grands worth of stereo / dvd player with big screen also taking up the space that the air con unit was, this was in the glove box (all fully working and looked neat and tidy) and a super dragon exhaust that looked about 4 months old.

He said the minimum he could take for it was 10'000 which i can "just" afford.

So what do we think, oppinions please? Oil being the main concern? Because if thats ok and normal this is the one for me!

Thanks very much in advance!

K

·
0 Posts
Oil preasure, mine tends to increase a little under a good bit of acceleration etc rather than drop. running around 4 with no engine effort is same as mine.

temp wise, mine very rarely strays above 75ish even driving hard, but then ive a oil cooler in there.

nismo clocks were not std on a v-spec and are aftermarket, so no real way of telling if KM's would be authentic, unless they run up the "milage" somehow before fitting in the car. also has the speedo been converted to read in miles? if so no way to prove its 29000kms could be 1000km 28000miles or 28000km 1000miles all you know is its 29000 combination of the 2, unless it was fitted in the UK then likely to all be miles. would ask for as much history they have regarding mot's or stuff from japan to substantiate KM/miles.

if hitting 5k boost gradually prob wouldnt see torque split move, mine only tends to move when booting it from a stand still or very low revs.

also try doing a search for buying guide used to be one not sure if its still on here somewhere, loads of tips what to look for how to spot v-spec from norm etc...

hope that helps and good luck on getting a skyline. worth taking time and getting the right car.

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oppinions needed !!!!

Cheers KG @ R33 GTR, thats really helpfull. The speed'o had not been converted into miles, it was still in km's, everything mod wise was fitted in japan, the owner has not done anything to it, and if the mileage isnt authentic, they would have had to do a hell of a lot and spend a large amount of money to make sure it looked authentic from the interior and exterior condition of it that it would hardly be worth doing it, it looks allmost brand new.

It still even has the orange flare that the cars all leave the factory with!

Oh its definatley v'spec allright, it had the A-lsd light in the speed'o, it was low on the tien suspension and a look under the back end with a tourch made the rear diff with cooling fins clearly visible.

Do you think the fact that the oil pressure drops below 4bar and fluctuates between 4bar and the last notch on the gauge is a sign of engine wear or a problem with it, or cud this mean the oil level in the engine was low and just needed topping up? with it being just over 4 bar on tick over?

Oh also when we got back from the drive i asked him to leave it running and then rev it while i looked at the exhaust smoke. He didnt rev it to high (i dont think he wanted to annoy the neighbours) probably to 3.5 - 4k, but there was
no smoke at all, no blue / purple, ect, just colourless exhaust gasses.

I really cant decide on this one, whats everyones oppinions?

·
Registered
491 Posts
sounds familiar. i sold a silver r33 gtr (not a v-spec)with white nismo dails,tein suspention and with 20 odd thousand kilometers about three months ago for £8500.
does the alsd light go out after starting??if it was my old one it was very tidy.

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi mate, nah this had black nismo dials and was a v-spec, and his brother imported it for him 2 months ago, what do you think about this one? you will know more than me. Im just not sure about the oil pressure thing, trying to find a write up about r33 gtr v-spec oil pressure now

·
Registered
491 Posts
the oil pressure sender may need changing,and/or a oil change.this normally solves the flutuations in oil pressure.if it was me ,i would like this fixed before commiting to buy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts