Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving before and the most bizarre lamp lit on my dash, its now gone but it did have me concerned

I have a R33 GTST auto, the lamp is next to the battery symbol, theres 3 lights all i can remember without going to the car is the battery symbol to the left of it, theres three in a row with the batt on the right, this is the middle one.

It looked like a pipe, expanded in the middle with what looked like heat wiggly lines coming off it? Also i have an intermittent misfire, it had misfired before this light came on.

Is it an exhaust temp light? sounds bizarre but it looked like a CAT with heat lines...

Also this misfire is doing my head in when i drive the car it does it 1 in 10 times when its started but it does appear to be getting worse, could it be coilpacks? Its not at any given rev range its right from the off.

Any advice is welcome esp about that light, kinda freaked me out i dont like lights i dont understand :wtf:

·
Registered
345 Posts
sounds like the cat overtemp light, if the missfire is bad it will be chucking lots of fuel down the exhaust and it will make the cat glow like a cherry i.e very hot :) ! Get the missfire sorted asap mate.

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like the cat overtemp light, if the missfire is bad it will be chucking lots of fuel down the exhaust and it will make the cat glow like a cherry i.e very hot :) ! Get the missfire sorted asap mate.
thank god someone knows what it is i cant find anything bout it on the net, any advice on testing coilpacks?

·
Registered
345 Posts
well it may be harder to spot on an auto due to the gearbox hiding some of the hesitation, my bet would be coil packs!
Its a common problem and i had very similar symptoms on mine, £220 IIRC on a set of RSP coils and its a different car :) ! If you take a look at your coils they sometimes swell up where they get hot, this is a definate tell tale :)

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i recently had the coilpacks out and they look good, i did clean them and i pulled the plugs, they are HKS ones gapped to i think 0.7.

The plugs look fine and so does the colipacks? also my AFM, i have an Apexi induction kit on it so i can pull that off later and fire some carb cleaner in to clean it up.

Funny thing is if i pull the leads of the coilpacks like you would on plugs i cant tell what cylinder its missing on....

May have to beg to borrow a set to see if thats it, would i be able to visually see a duff coilpack?

·
Registered
345 Posts
if they are really bad they do swell up, you probably wont be able to tell by disconnecting them whele its running as it rare that they stop working completely, usually just break down

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah right, if im right someone on here is selling a set i might just get them to be sure at least its one thing less it could be, if it missed all the time would be one thing but its so unpredicable

·
Registered
345 Posts
is your car a spec 1 or spec 2 (is there an ignition amplifier bolted to the back of the coil cover?)
If its a spec 1 then yes r32 GTR coils are the same. Spec 2 coils are internally amplified and are different

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update

right i have had the coilpacks and plugs off the car, i have cleaned the plugs and gapped them, althouigh they were correct but kind of nasty.

The coilpacks look good and are as clean as you can get a coil pack, no splits in the rubber boots or anything ive rebuilt it and its still missing, im going to clean the AFM tomorrow and the CAT sensor

Also the loom goes directly onto the coilpacks, theres no module on the rocker cover or coil cover at all so im guessing is a series 2 lump or a series 1.5 so i have been told?

Anyone in lancaster or nearby doing a rebuild that has a spare set of coilpacks that are good that i can use for 10 minutes for beer :eek7:

·
Registered
345 Posts
yes mate, that means the coils are internally amplified you need some off a spec 2 gtst (late95 onwards) or an R34 gtr :)

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you could Dave i will owe you a seriously big fat beer, i have just ordered 3 new ones but after my christmas fisting fundage hasnt started to build back up yet, worst possible time for this...

but hey i was told if you buy a skyline prepare to be skint :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
exhaust warning light

I was driving home yesterday afternoon on the motorway when this warning light came on. I looked it up in my users manual and found out it is the 'exhaust warning light', but the manual didn't explain or elaborate on the problem. The light went out after approx' 2-3 miles. My car continued to run perfectly with, as far as I can tell no ill effects. I am still puzzled by it tho'. The CAT was already disconnected so I can't see it beeing that!! Maybe just a blip in the system!! It would be good to get the answer as to what the 'exhaust warning light' was actually trying to tell me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts