Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Similar thread to Nino Browns a short while ago....

After fitting a greedy profec 2 ive found it basically pointless and have taken it back off again due to it having caused boost creep to 10+psi on the oe turbo on base settings and when turned off :eek:

Problem is the same as his whereas after replacing the stock boost control solenoid and plumbing the boost creep has remained although it was never there prior to the electronic boost controller was fitted.

Ive tried 2 different actuators in stock fitment and including plumbing them straight in the intercooler pipework which should give me around 5-7 psi but no still 10+psi.
Not even my hks actuator can get it down below 10psi.I havent got an aftermarket turbo elbow fitted its stock.

To make matters worse it went to my local rolling road and they shook there head and didnt have a clue! (although they did tell me my fueling was fine so its not creeping through ignition advance/retard)

I saw 13.5 psi on it today when i accidenttly forgot and floored it. :screwy:
Someone please help before the car gets burnt alive at the stake on november 5th.........

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
very strange i have a profec fitted and found it to be very good, if a bit of a faff to set up. I had to turn the gain right down to 5% to stop it spiking.
The only thing it could be is the actuator you have as mine is using the std one hope this helps

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
needforspeed said:
That's not very good, I just bought a Profec B Spec II, hope I have better luck with mine. :(
I hope u do to mate. (u ordered yours the day after i ordered mine didnt u)

Been nothing but a headache and worry and it doesnt seem to be an individual problem either....
My dyno place rung Grant at AET turbo's and he said the set up on a skyline isnt the best re boost controllers and strongly advised against putting it on-which i did only to end up with a headache!And now ive got a bloody migraine lol by the car running a constant 10psi with no way of getting it down.

CHRIS
Ive also tried a standard actuator and it still manages to boost to 10+psi. :mad:

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
Hey man,

After i had the inital problems i tried putting it back to the standard set up (i.e stock solenoid, restricotor pipe etc) and like you it done the same thing...

....WTF is it thats the problem??? Like i said my cars getting new turbo PFC and mapped in a couple of weeks, but i also would like to solve it before then.

As i said before, my car had a downpipe and elbow b4 fitting the profec and i had no problems. Added the profec and its never been the same since :(

·
Always sideways
4,231 Posts
I'm still not 100% on this idea of 10psi. The boost controller, after removing two-stage boost, will help prevent the car from overboosting and boost spiking. If the car is mapped to run higher boost (i.e. 0.8 or 0.85 bar) then the controller will read over 10psi, it should record your boost at being either 11.6psi or 12.33psi (approximately)

I'm not great with these electronic gizmos, but I am good with pressures!

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
wisecobandit said:
he said the set up on a skyline isnt the best re boost controllers and strongly advised against putting it on
!? that makes no logical sense.

What does the car being a skyline have to do with setting the boost on a turbo?

The "skyline setup" is no different to any other turbo car, the boost pressure is set in the same way as any other car. The turbo is connected to the exhaust and induction of the engine just like on any other engine.

Sounds to me like the bloke who said that is just using a blanket statement to make up for his lack of knowlledge...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi5 said:
!? that makes no logical sense.

What does the car being a skyline have to do with setting the boost on a turbo?

The "skyline setup" is no different to any other turbo car, the boost pressure is set in the same way as any other car. The turbo is connected to the exhaust and induction of the engine just like on any other engine.

Sounds to me like the bloke who said that is just using a blanket statement to make up for his lack of knowlledge...
I dont know but i know Todd uses him so im not going to disagree with what the turbo man says..

I was told by the dyno man after he got off the phone to Grant it was something to do with ceramic wheeled turbo's,there spool up time (quicker) and just the combined set up in general.
I dont profess to know anything much about turbo's hence why it was taken to the rolling road to set up/sort out.

·
stuck in the middle .....with you
8,249 Posts
unless he was refering to the limited amount of boost you can run a standard skyline turbo at,otherwise im with hi5

1 - 11 of 11 Posts