Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just come back from a short drive, about 40 minutes, and noticed that when I turned my engine off I could hear water boiling and bubbling.
Is this normal?
The temperature guage never went over half way on the journey.
Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but being new to Skylines I feel I should check with you guys :)

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
r33's have been known to do that

it might be that your rad is a bit clogged, you can get it re-cored abbey do it i think

if it happens apparently you should leave your engine running a while as it cools down, so the water keeps pumping

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
I know i'm not a Skyline owner, but i have the same in my car. After a good thrashing i can hear a bubbling for quite some time. I put it down to the charge cooler for the Turbo. as i have a water cooler not an air cooler (intercooler)

Maybe i was wrong, would be interested to see others opinions too.

Kris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always leave my car running for a couple of minutes after driving it, does it need to be longer than this depending on how hard I've driven it?

If it is clogged, aren't there any products on the market that you can use to clean your rad with?
Like Mr Muscle sink unblocker! :D

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
Can also hear it in my mates Scooby too.

Your meant to leave the engine running to cool the oil in the turbo down, as it keeps circulating around the engine. If you switch off the engine the oil sits in turbo and burns...so i'm told?!?

Does anyone else have this bubbling thing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Eddie
Thanks for the links, however my temperature guage doesn't rise above halfway even after ragging or queueing.
I'm not losing any water or oil, and my rad has definitely got anti-freeze in it?
Maybe I've caught it early and it will start to play up now?

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Do what I do, turn the radio up really loud, cant hear any worrying noises, till something breaks properly, then you know what to fix :)
Or you could try taking the bleed bolt out of the system and let out any trapped air, may be the cause.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine did this and I needed a new rad....
Well, Tiggs, I can only think that your car was boiling over 'cos you were sitting in it..

:D

The same has happened to my car and all the above suggestions for a cure sound about right. I find that once you have started down the power route the RB26 does generate a lot of heat. The turbos in particular need a lot of cooling down. The rad fins get full of debris, and should be cleaned out every so often.

Fully venting the bonnet will help air circulation, which is the next stage for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if your water system is boiling or bubbling up it means youve got air in your coolant system .

maybe just trapped air , in which case do a coolant change , however if it still persists then get you head gasket looked at

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
not sure about some of this... I have "the bubbling" as well when I stop, had the water cleaned, flushed out, changed and i still get it, I put it down to the fact its bloody hot under there (85 degrees) abd the water is under pressure so its gonna move around and thaths the noise I can hear..

E

·
0 Posts
I had the bubbling too. Had blocked rad so obviously water wasn`t cooling like it should & when switching off engine it was bubbling into the expansion tank.

Tried flushing & bleeding but it didn`t make any difference. New rad sorted it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts