Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all you clever people.......what happens when the AFM dies a horrible death?
I`ve been out fiddling the last couple of days. Put in some new iridiums yesterday & took it for a spin & everything was just how it should be.
This morning i went out & thought it would be a good idea to clean the AFM so off it came & had a good blast with a can of carb cleaner. Than i reset the ECU & went for a jolly. Again everything was fine.
Untill now. I`ve just got back from being stuck in Tescos car park for about 10 minutes trying to start the car. Eventually got it going but it kept cutting out on the way home.

Have i fried the AFM?
Anyone :confused:

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Wish I never told you where to find the ****ing thing now! I know someone who has a spare I think or is there anyone local can lend you theirs for half an hour.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yer thats the best way , borrow one first , i doulbt carb cleaner has killed it

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only left it to dry for about 5 minutes before i put it back together but it was over 2 hrs before i drove the car.

There are a few guys in Bedford with GTSTs. I got Slippys number. He`s got a GTR but i think he knows most of the guys in Bedford.

Why would it be fine for a few miles (flat out) but **** up now? cunting thing!!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont know , the ECU , dont like the cleaner , is my guess , and went in2 limp mode

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
cunting thing!!
Well done Ed you have invented a new word that I can use.

Borrow one and give it a go mate. Before you try anything else the elec connector can be an arse on em, its worth checking its clean and fully engaged.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Limp mode sounds about right. Had a real job keeping it going.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KNGP you have PM.

Yeh Buster i was a bit concerned about the connectors. They look a bit fragile & a couple of them seemed to be bent slightly when they came out. I`ll have it all apart again in the morning & see what happens.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope so.
Got another 1 lined up if its ****ed. Nigels got a spare he`ll sell me.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Sounds a bit like my climate control Eddie, think something might not be working properly:D
Hope you get it sorted mate - assuming it is different on a GTT - very welcome to try with mine if the same..

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think i might have solved the problem. Took the electric connector off this morning & the rubber seal that fits in is all squashed out of shape & wasn`t fitting properly so maybe the electric contacts weren`t touching as they should. I binned the seal & used a bit of mastic to seal it up. Took her out for a spin & all seems ok. Just hope it lasts. Fingers crossed. Did notice that the contacts were a bit ****ed though.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good , afms are prone 2 this , there a kinda weak link .

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok mate. I`ll put 1 in the post. Talking of post where`s me new zorst rubber ;)

I dont like the car now. I never used to worry about anything but i just got back from Mcds & thought it was gonna go again on the A1. All my faith has vanished & im paranoid it`ll happen again somewhere bad :(

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Forgot yer rubber, but I have remembered it now for some strange reason. Will do it in the morning.

What made you think it was gonna throw a queer one then ?

**** the cars if they break they break, I aint never heard of anyone dying from being stranded on the A1.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I aint never heard of anyone dying from being stranded on the A1.
lmfao to hear some of the people who get stranded on the A1 you would think they were dying. hehe. Eddie the AFMs are the weak part on skylines full stop. They need replacing every 60,000 miles or so I was told by Abbey when mine went. I didn't fully understand what Mark meant but didn't keep asking questions as he was doing me a big favor and didn't want to piss him off but apparently it's to do with the oil being pumped into the intake system by the wastegates and they clog up the electrode on the inside of the AFM tunnel. When I asked Mark if you could just clean them up instead of replacing them he said and I quote here "You can but they're never the same afterwards. Better just to replace them for another 60,000 miles and not worry about em."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts