Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused....not much new there then said the Mrs....

Was speaking to a guy yesterday who runs a 93 Ford Cossy for Group A rallying and he swears that electronic boost controllers are no more than "little boys toys" that do the job, but more expensively because they have lights, dials and features you’ll never use to “keep the children happy”, and that the boost can be controlled just as well by a quality manual boost controller costing a lost less that can just be set & forget as in is Cossy.

He also mentioned ALS (Anti-Lag System) that is employed in his Group A. This (apparently) provides instant response from the turbo and eliminates all turbo lag, though the ECU and “other” components which in our brief conversation he didn’t detail need to be compatible. Apparently it’s also illegal on road cars..

Not sure how accurate any of this info is, so would be good to get some feedback from the Forum.

·
Registered
189 Posts
there are decent boost taps that work better then others on the market and crap cheap ones aswell that dont work AS great, but i do beleive that EBC do stick to there word of holding 12psi to redline with out spiking or boost fade maybe some better then others?....

yeah its classic i was talking to a guy the other day from a second hand nissan parts dealer And he swore that nissan did away with the ceramic shafts in 33 spec one and two lol. and a hole lot of other crap which i ddint listen to. some people say alot of different stuff out there

·
Registered
180 Posts
What an amatuer! Why is it the "ford-boys" are all old-farts? did he tell you to get a set of webers and stick 9" axle in the back??

My Grandma doesnt understand how her Sky+ box works (which was bought so she could watch Countdown on loop...), so she labels that technology **** and uneccessary too....

Electronic boost control gives you:-

Bigger dynamic range (base actuator pressure to to even double on a good system)

Closed loop control for different atmospheric conditions

Boost reduction linked to limp-home strategy and knock control

Gear based and Traction control modification

Launch control modification

Anti lag boost control

Selectable feedback source, not just pressure (such as turbo speed, MAF, EOC temps)

and probably a lot more that I've forgotten....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts