Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just a bought a 1993 r33 gtst-t skyline and the stock boost does not work.I'm new to the turbo and skylines,if you can can tell me where to look a nd what line are for the gauge.thanks

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
to be honest the stock boost gauge is about as accurate as seaweed, and after market one would be a lot better.

you could have a look in the engine bay just in front the driver attached to the suspension tower is a small black box (boost sensor) it my be disconnected or the pipe from the plenum may have come of or split.

·
stuck in the middle .....with you
8,249 Posts
the stock gauge is very accurate,all three of my gtst's were pretty much spot on with aftermarket gauges,its just a matter of being able to convert the stock mm/hg to bar (or psi if you wish) and the fact that the stock gauge is not as clear as aftermarket ones.
in a nutshell if you are at 7 on the stock gauge then you are running at the limits of the turbo as 7 is 0.93 bar

·
Registered
886 Posts
I don't know why they use mmHg because it's an absolute pressure unit and they're using it as gauge pressure. The zero on the gauge should really be about 750 - 760mmHg (atmospheric pressure) and at complete vacuum it should read zero.

·
stuck in the middle .....with you
8,249 Posts
how do you figure that ,0 is 0 regardless of what unit you are using to measure pressure,-760mm/hg is the equivelant of -1.01bar

·
Registered
886 Posts
how do you figure that ,0 is 0 regardless of what unit you are using to measure pressure,-760mm/hg is the equivelant of -1.01bar
Zero is not zero, it depends if the unit is an absolute pressure reading or a gauge pressure reading. A gauge pressure reading will read zero at atmosphere, whereas an absolute pressure reading will read zero when under full vacuum conditions.

Millimeters Mercury (mmHg) is an absolute pressure unit, not a gauge unit, so on a day like today the pressure is 757.40mmHg. At complete vacuum, the pressure would be 0mmHg. There's no such thing as -760mmHg and that's why the standard boost pressure gauge is misleading.

T

·
0 Posts
I just a bought a 1993 r33 gtst-t skyline and the stock boost does not work.I'm new to the turbo and skylines,if you can can tell me where to look a nd what line are for the gauge.thanks
Hi bud Welcome to the forum. :)

In answer to your question Id say either try to get another little factory gauge and check your fuses also (just in case its that simple ;).)

Failing that its easier than you think to fit a new aftermaket boost gauge. :cheers:

TC

·
Registered
886 Posts
It's a bit of a long shot, but when i put in some OEL dials on my clocks, i got the standard boost gauge pointer/needle the wrong side of the stopper, consequently it wouldn't move from the bottom. Someone might have taken out your speedo head to put in a delimiter and the same happened...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts