Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right i want to get this sorted once and for all !
my car is not boosting over 0.5 bar ? with or without (bleed valve) manual boost controller , dawes divice etc etc i have done the second stage boost mod and its still the same really the car feels abit faster 0/60 so i know thats working i know i not get more boost but wanted to check it worked

in the pic you see 3 pipes :

1 actuator to boost solnoid
2 boost solnoid to re curc pipe
3 boost solnoid to hard pipe

see pic i think 3 is in the wrong place ?? mine is on the bottom hard pipe not the top one like others ive seen will this make any differance ?

where do i fit a manual boost controller what do i do with the standard boost solnoid ? please explain as i want to get this sorted before i pay top money for a boost controller ! if i have a prob with the boost i want to get it sorted first ! all this was played about with when i got the car so i dont know where to start i dont know whats right and whats wrong ! i only want to run 0.8 im not asking too much lol :drivin:
would love a little help please ! :worshippy:
its driving me mad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :alco:

is this pipe in the wrong place ?

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
I recently fitted a boost controller on mine, thus eliminated the boost solonoid, I did a test before putting the controller on, just running a new piece of pip from the intercooler pipe to the actuator, this gave me 8-10psi?!?!?! so now with the controller it is basically just making sure it hits 10psi low down in the rev range,

now the theory is that because the restrictor is removed from the pipe you get more boost, but then I dont understand how this works. some people say removing the restrictor results in less boost, (sounds like what ur getting because im guessing the restrictor is gone?? with that new pipe n all?)

so basically i would try putting a hose from the intercooler to the boost solonoid and see what boost you get? i have been told that the actuator is set at 5psi on the R33, but on mine it seems to be holding 10psi under load,

all a bit confusing really, hopefully someone can help. this maby usefull or very confusing....

Cheers
Dazzler

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
oh and an MBC would go between IC pipe and actuator, block off the other pipe and the factory boost controller is left unplugged!

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you have started to point me the right way mate im getting my head round it !
the restrictor ?? thats new to me i didnt know it had one ? that is how it was when i bought the car
so mbc from actuator to hard pipe then unplug and block pipes from boost solniod ?? that right ?

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
You'll need an aftermarket gauge too Topo.... :)
Definatly! this is the first thing to do!!!! the other option is goto nengun or RHD and get a greddy profecB spec2 it is a wicked boost controller! holds it good and only £150ish

Cheers
Dazzler

M

·
0 Posts
The Profec is probably the most commonly used boost controller on this forum and handy if you want to have a lo and Hi setting.....you will need a friend to sit in with you while you set it up.

Find a long hill, stick it in third and keep adjusting it until you reach the boost level you want...:) Good luck

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got a boost gauge set up allready thats how i know what boost im running

i want to get it all plumed in right first then up the boost to 0.8 to start with
i have a hks boost controller waiting for me i just need to go pick it up from my mates one weekend when i get time but wanted the car to be sorted first

the pic helps alot dazzler

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Removing the restrictor built in will definately result in less boost!

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Removing the restrictor built in will definately result in less boost!
see thats the strange thing, removing mine resulted in more....

normal setup = 5psi (after 4500k 7psi) confirmed on gauge
hose from IC pipe to actuator = 8-9psi confirmed on gauge
with profecb = 10-10.5psi running sweet!

lol work that out! it confused me!

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
I ran mine completely stock (solenoid,etc.) and had max boost of 0.5-0.55 bar. Then I removed the stock solenoid, boost controlled only by the actuator, and got max boost of 0.43 bar. Now running an AVC-R with unknown maximum boost....still because of the fu***ng misfire at high revs :Uzi:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
will it make any differance that my vac hose goes onto the bottom hard pipe to intercooler not into the top hard pipe ?? i need to clear that up ??
didnt know if that would make a differance as its on the other side of the intercooler ??

·
Registered
828 Posts
No it wont make a difference which side of the i/c the pipe is plumbed into.

RE. the restrictor it will drop the boost level if removed.If you fit a smaller diameter restrictor it will increase boost.
The restrictor lives in the ic pipe between the ic and the standard t piece.In the pic its circled where it lives in the pipe.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
right now where getting some where !
so by the looks of it my car dont have a restrictor in so thats why im running low boost !
can i just do the old mod of drilling a hole in a short bolt that fits into the pipe ?? the size of the hole in the bolt will up the boost ? keep drilling it out and filling it up till i get it right etc ?

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Im sure there is someone on here with a spare, it is removed once a boost controller is fitted, (unless like me they are keeping it so that it can be put back to STD).

other wise i seem to recall a thread on here (possibly by Martin, or AndyUK, appoligys if not!) about what size the restricter is and how to mod it.... cant remember what it is under though. I think it might be in the boost solonoid mod thread (as in earth the solonoid to get high boost)

Hope that makes sence!

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes it make sence dazzler i have done this mod before on a scooby you drill the bolt out and solder or braze the hole up so its easyer to drill then you drill a small hole in it and the size of the hole ups the boost to what you want
now all i need to know what size hole to drill lol

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
1.3 or 1.4mm comes to mind, ,i remember someone saying they used a 130 carb jet from a motorbike instead of the restrictor, search for carb jet and that should find the thread!

Cheers
Dazzler

1 - 20 of 25 Posts