Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Its been a while since ive posted on here but I'm in need of your help.

My r33 gtst's bottom end is knocking, not ideal with show season coming up.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend me doing.. Do I rebuild my current rb25? Or do i get a new (second hand) engine?

Which ever option i go for i know i want more power. I was running 317bhp before it went wrong. Now I may as well upgrade whilst its out and I want at least 400-450. I already have a free flow exhaust, air filter, intercooler etc.

I think i need a uprated turbo (hyrbid one??),550cc injectors and better spark plugs, head gasket and then a ecu and map. Is there anything else?

What sort of price am I realistically looking at for a rebuild? And then costs for the extra parts aswell?

Any help is appreciated as this is all completely new to me ?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Buy a know good running engine and fit that.
Then rebuild your current engine then swap.
If you are handy you could rebuild it yourself.
See auto extreme for all your parts

·
Terry
2,023 Posts
Well i am no mechanic but a bottom end knock could be a simple re-shell if not run too much and caused damage to crank. This would not cost a great deal but any second hand engine could have similar issues down the line if you dont know its history and could set you back min of £1500 up to 2k.

To up the power will cost you as much too as you say injectors, turbo, fuel pump poss head gasket (although i understand head gasket should be good for 400 -450) and remap of ecu or go LinkG4 or some other stand alone ecu.

I would go with basic rebuild for now get car back on the road then weigh up options before committing. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
8,984 Posts
If the bottom end has got to the point that you can hear it then its going to need a regrind and re-shell at a minimum .

·
West Sussex Area Rep
4,952 Posts
Have you had it 100% diagnosed as bottom end?

I thought mine had gone not long ago and turned out it was just a bearing on the cambelt tensioner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts