Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cheese Monster
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a play with an R1 up the Crowthorne bypass was fun.

Pulling away from the S4 behind me was fun also

Hitting the limiter was annoying

Braking for the roundabout was interesting

Spooning it again up the dual carrageway was also fun with R1 just infront of me

Hitting the brakes and nothing happening was not fun
It felt like two well oiled parts rubbing together. Managed to scrub off speed by sliding the car down the carrageway and crossed the roundabout safely - but seriously, they failed in a big big way.

Defo need bigger stoppers - mind you this has never happened before and only one hard hit on the brakes cooked them good and proper.

Now I got a brown seat, and ruined my pants.

D

·
0 Posts
use the E-brake if your brakes fail, gently pull on it like a cycle bike brake its just a old drum it will stop you, also use the gears very quick way of scrubbing off speed.

·
Cheese Monster
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
use the E-brake if your brakes fail, gently pull on it like a cycle bike brake its just a old drum it will stop you, also use the gears very quick way of scrubbing off speed.

I agree, this works, but its an auto so I popped it in 2nd and it waits till the revs are low enough before it changes.

The handbrake is a foot pedal item. Not much control on one of these - would have ended going round and round and round - would have been fun till I hit something :D

·
RB25det inside
1,253 Posts
I had a not so similar experience with my r32 on old standard pads,braked down from 100+ around a roundabout and another flat out moment to the next roundabout 1/2mile away only to find out I'd literary no brakes :eek:
I've upgraded to grooved dba discs + ferodo ds 2500 pads since.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Sounds like grooved discs and red stuff pads will help! The red stuff pads work better when hot, so won't get the same issue again ;)

Oh soap and warm water for the drivers seat lol :)

·
Cheese Monster
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like grooved discs and red stuff pads will help! The red stuff pads work better when hot, so won't get the same issue again ;)

Oh soap and warm water for the drivers seat lol :)
I'll get right on the seat then :D

Got a set of brakes coming from Moff - so ill fit them pronto!

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
i had the near side brake line snap in half on me friday on my way to brighton...last 10miles on the handbrake......... all fixed now though..only 25 quid it cost me in the premier inn car park, new haven lol

good thing i had tools on me

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
had one of these moments not too long ago ...binned all the discs and pads and changed the lot inc the brake fluid made a big difference :D

·
Cheese Monster
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes - big brakes coming soon.

No more track days for Johnny until I sort out this first methinks. Also need to remove the limiter too :D

·
Devon/Cornwall Area Rep
897 Posts
when brakes fail like that isnt it the fluid boiling thats causing the problem?
its the material that the pads are made out of that cause the problem first but if you keep your foot on the pedal when the brakes arnt working because there hot then the pedal starts to fade when the pedals fadeing you know the fluid is boiling and if you boil it you need to change it straigh away. and i dont know if skylines are run on dot5 brake fluid standard because i dont own one just yet but my mr2 did and if skylines havnt got it the i recomend putting dot 5 fluid in them when you change it.

i think this is right but if im wrong please correct me.

·
Registered
836 Posts
red stuff...

pads and dot-5 fluid will make a huge difference mate. The pads grip better when hot and the fluid doesn't boil so easy so you will notice much better braking.
Regards, Thwish

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I must drive like a saint

ive never had a brake problem or fade use cheapo brake pads

I dont wear my tyres out in three months ive had the car 3 years and changed the rears once yes once still the same fronts

and my tank lasts about 320 miles

My only real out goings are genaral maintance and serviceing i have to say for 14 year old car its damn good better then any newer euro peace of crap ive ever owned.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I must drive like a saint

ive never had a brake problem or fade use cheapo brake pads

I dont wear my tyres out in three months ive had the car 3 years and changed the rears once yes once still the same fronts

and my tank lasts about 320 miles

My only real out goings are genaral maintance and serviceing i have to say for 14 year old car its damn good better then any newer euro peace of crap ive ever owned.
:eek: lol guess you don't use the sideways pedal that much lol

cheapo pads will work fine as long as you keep on top of em, but are NO good for ragging about the country side.

I'm gonna be saving my pennies for the K sport 8pots should stop nice then ;)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
There was a guy that had some 8 pots he said they were no better then 6 im sure it was on here i could be wrong though but he owns this car

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
its the material that the pads are made out of that cause the problem first but if you keep your foot on the pedal when the brakes arnt working because there hot then the pedal starts to fade when the pedals fadeing you know the fluid is boiling and if you boil it you need to change it straigh away. and i dont know if skylines are run on dot5 brake fluid standard because i dont own one just yet but my mr2 did and if skylines havnt got it the i recomend putting dot 5 fluid in them when you change it.

i think this is right but if im wrong please correct me.

Of course the pad material and fluid are of importance but the problem with standard stagea brakes is that they are ridiculously small and two pot. Not only that but they are the floating type which means they are only 1 1/2 pot really.
You could put dot 5.1 in and it would not stop the car any quicker , Better pads would help but really you need better brakes.
The Stagea is heavier than a GTS or GTR and the brakes are smaller. THIS is the problem.

Good news is that pretty much any skyline brakes will fit although you may need the right wheels to put GTR brembos on.

·
Cheese Monster
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
pads and dot-5 fluid will make a huge difference mate. The pads grip better when hot and the fluid doesn't boil so easy so you will notice much better braking.
Regards, Thwish
Thats the plan, Im an fitting R33 GTS-T calipers, Brembo Max Disks and Mintex Extreme Pads then bleeding the system in favor of some nice DOT 5.

:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts