Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellow Enthusiasts,

I went for the farily mundane job of painting my rear calipers today and I've created a problem for myself.

Basically, I moved the car about 6 feet while the brake pads were out of the passenger-side rear caliper, so when I pressed the brake, the pistons went all the way to the disc. I know very little about this sort of thing so no, I did not know this was going to happen! You live and learn right? :swear:

Now I can't get my brake pads back into the caliper and I need some advice on how to move the pistons back into their original positions. Is there a way I can relieve the pressure without bleeding the entire braking system?

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
quickest way ill say wood be take your caliper off quickly then push the piston back in with sum clamps.dont forget to take the break fluid cap off under the bonnet makes it easier.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
It's usually possible to tap a large screwdriver between the discs and the piston, but carefully so's not to score the discs, once you have a gap then a crowbar can be used to force it back further.

The problem is that if the back end has come out past the seal(s) it can rip them going back in, so if they don't go readily then it is best to remove the calipers. This allows a better view of the parts and you can decide if new seals are required, but at least you can lube the dust boots to help prevent ripping.

You'll need two pairs of molegrips or small clamp to nip the flexi pipes, this will stop air getting in or fluid leaking out. No nead for much pressure, just enough to press the two sides of the pipe together creating a seal, but it must be pressed together across the whole width.

Aitch

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I was able to remove the caliper, take the lid off the brake fluid filler and use a G-clamp to move the pistons. The pistons moved easily so I am hoping I have not caused any long term damage!

I won't be doing this aga
in a hurry!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts