Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
woo hoo 395.6 hp tuned and mapped by rich at rsp
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im running yellow stuff pads ont the front of my 33 and standard pads on the back:werd: but it was like this when i brought the car. the back pads have recently started grinding any suggestions on what pads i should replace em with? someone recomended mintex??? what do u guys think?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
dont use mintex!!

get some red stuff rears and yellow stuff fronts from conceptua tuning in the traders section.

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats wrong with mintex? surely theyve gotta be better than stock pads?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i would not use mintex on a heavy car. there cheap and you get what you pay for normally. the only cheap ones i would ever get are the ferrodo ones from conceptua

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ok mate thanks for ur help, someone also said about ferrodo's but said they were expensive? oh well i suppose a skyline owner knows best lol

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I've got mintex front and rear on mine, working absolutely fine so far, only just fitted them but feel absolutely fine after a few spirited drives.

Bet you can't out brake me Ian:grinno:

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
bet you i can. its called a wall lol ferodo are only 40-50 from conceptua. bruce you only run them because you didnt have to pay for them.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Ok so the front Mintex racing i got for £20, but i brought the rears from conceptua.

So far i've not noticed any difference in braking against the red stuff, i'm on track on the 9th April so will properly test them then.

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no ones helping me here lol im not sure what to go for on the rears im in need of some new ones the car is off the road at the mo.mintex? red stuff? Ferodo? or any other?
cheers guys

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
red and yellow stuff are not cheap pads so to speak. a full set from ebay for 20 quid is cheap. it all depends on what you use the car for. if its track then go for yellow stuff ront and red stuff rear. if its mainly road then go for the fifty quid ferrodo ones from conceptua and some oem spec rears from them.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Maybe there is room here for a little objectivity?

I won't tell you what pads to buy, because we sell pads. I can try to help you decide what pads may suit you ; )

If at the end of the day you buy from someone else- then fine ; )

Lets take Ferodo- I can probably supply 9 Ferodo pad compounds for the R33 GTS-T fronts. Some are for full race applications. Some are for road use. Some fall in between. The correct pads for you depend on the unique combination of you and your car! How you drive, where you drive (i.e. some trackday use etc), and what power and weight your car has.

The most COMMON pads we sell are the OE Ferodos.

Obviously the Ferodo OE are great priced, but they are just that- OE type pads. They may not suit modified cars, or very late brakers!

But if you are running stock pads at the moment, and have no issues, then these will fit the bill at a small bill price.

However, if you have a bunch of mods or are hard on the brakes then you will need pads that are up to the job.

There is no 'one size fits all'...

This is why we prefer to talk individually to people about pad choice wherever possible. We are not into selling the most expensive stuff, but rather what will do the best job for you at the best price.

We realise that not everyone has bottomless pockets.

If you take the redstuff pads- they offer good fast road performance, reasonably good value for the price, but some poeple have worn them out quickly. In that case Redstuff pads are probably inadequate for their particular situation.

In EBC they probably need Yellowstuff, or alternatively perhaps Ferodo DS2500 etc... However the Yellowstuffs are much less than the DS2500's.

So if you wanted trackday braking on a budget then Yellowstuffs are great value. Or if you have more money to spend then DS2500 are a fantastic pad. Both are OK for daily driving.

All in all, the only right pads for you are the right pads for you. Price and performance.

Give us a call on the Freephone number during office hours. As I said- if you buy elsewhere- that's fine with us...

Chris

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cheers for getting back to me chris thats a great help ill bear that in mind.

·
Shake and Bake !!
491 Posts
Not sure this is of any use, but I've got Ferodo pads that came with the GTR disks I had fitted to the GTS, I must confess they are good, admittedly it has a brake stopper, and braided lines as well now, so much improved anyway.
I had redstuff on the last set of GTS-T brakes and found them to be average, not withstanding the above mods to my Brembo's so not sure what the Redstuff would have been like with these mods. I'll be getting the same pads again I think, I've seen nothing to make me try EBC again.

If your considering Mintex...I once had a guy at the ring in front of me that braked and a large cloud of dust shot out of the sides of his car. Thankfully we were on the start finish straight with plenty of room, little did I know he actually had tried to lock the car up and actually STOP dead !!! all he did was actually not slow down that much at all, to the point I just wondered what he was doing and hardly even slowed down for it. The dust was in fact his pads being ground virtually to dust against his disks, and he was checking them because he found he basically didn't have much confidence in them on the way around ! Lucky for him he suspected something was up ! I think he only fitted them that day.

I can't verify they were not Ebay knock off Mintex, or if they were definately Mintex since they had no labels on them, or its user error, but thats what i was told by this particular guy afterwards, its fair to say that was scary seeing them afterwards, or what was left of them and I would rather avoid them as a result. But you do have personal testimony in this thread from someone who has them and says they are fine, so pays your money takes your choice I guess.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I'm yet to find a bad pad to use in my skyline yet, My current Mintex seem to lock the wheels just fine at the mo, and so far feel exactly the same as Red stuff.

Red stuff worked well enough at the ring for my 8.25 lap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts