Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently got myself a 95 R33 GTST, and I'm in love. However, the front brakes are squeaking horrendously when gentle applying the brakes coming up to junctions/lights etc. So, I did the norm and replaced the pads, no joy. So dug deeper, and have now ended up doing almost EVERYTHING! I have replaced the pads again ones with shims on the back and a grove in the middle to let brake dust escape. I also replaced my discs, have replaced the brake clips that hold the pads in place and have now just re sealed the pistons on both Calipers. I have also used copper grease on areas where there is metal to metal contact and have used anti squeak on the back of the pads and have sanded the edges so they are more rounded, but the squeak is just horrendous! Makes me grateful I walk to work! The odd thing is, if I'm coming up to a junction/lights and I firmly press the peddle and stop abruptly, no squeak? But, if I'm rolling slowly and gentle hold the brakes in it's AWFUL! I'm out of ideas now, and wondered if anyone has anything more I can do/try to get rid of this...

Thanks in advance,
James :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Guessing you have just done the front brakes?
Try the rear ones for elimination.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are your new pads chamfered at the sides or straight? What make of pad did you go for?
Hi bud, yes they're Charmfered, metal shims on the back too. And went for a brand called Blueprint, slight novice to brake pads and they weren't overly expensive. Made the mistake of buying a new pair without Shims... So ended up paying more money than needed lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guessing you have just done the front brakes?
Try the rear ones for elimination.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
Hi mate, yes only fronts, have stood next to the car and had someone press the brakes to make sure I'm attending to the right one ahahah :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Is it both fronts? As you could buy a temperature gun and see if one brake is getting hotter than the other side

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Initially it started with the passenger side, then I worked on it and it seems okay at the mo, slight squeak here and there but it's bearable. However, the drivers side now is piercing!! Sounds awful, it does seem to be when the brakes are hot the squeak starts, is there a way to keep them cooler?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'd say it's pad choice, had major issues on my evo getting quiet pads, the brembo calipers are renowned for squeaking brakes, took a few pad changes to settle on the girodisc magicpads, never squealed again.

I'm using stoptech Street pads on the skyline and have never had any problems. Just fitted my first ever set of ebc redstuff pads to my jaguar xfr and they are great, not a noise out of them.

Blueprint would tend to be a generic major manufacturer of aftermarket brake pads bit like first-line are for suspension components etc

I'd try a different brand of pads and see if that sorts it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say it's pad choice, had major issues on my evo getting quiet pads, the brembo calipers are renowned for squeaking brakes, took a few pad changes to settle on the girodisc magicpads, never squealed again.

I'm using stoptech Street pads on the skyline and have never had any problems. Just fitted my first ever set of ebc redstuff pads to my jaguar xfr and they are great, not a noise out of them.

Blueprint would tend to be a generic major manufacturer of aftermarket brake pads bit like first-line are for suspension components etc

I'd try a different brand of pads and see if that sorts it
Fab, thanks for the response mate. Granted the pads are still bedding in and I get misleading days when it seems to be better then all of a sudden it's back. So will give these 100 more miles or so and then try the ones you mentioned to see if it works! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts