Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My front brakes are squealing like an old bus!!
Without wishing to sound simple :D ,can someone tell me where i should put copper grease,- i.e should i be putting it on the pad and the shims or,just on the metal shim not the pad??? The pads are like new as i only got the car about a month ago so i dont really want to replace them,but i will if i have too!- its really annoying as people stop and stare for the wrong reason!!!:D
The cars an R34 gtt if that makes any difference???

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
If is to you can get some copperslip then a good start is to put it on the pins, shims and rear face of the pads. The big mistake when changing pads is not to at least wire brush everything, if you disturb "set in place " debris, it always causes problems.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Not too much though, as its a lubricant it will have the opposite effect to 'brake' if it gets hot and finds its way onto the friction material due to over liberal applications. :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's, I've tried putting the grease on the pins aswell as the back of the pads and the shims, and its made the squeal much louder???? A friend of mine has said that by doing this i've cancelled out the affect of the anti-squeal shims??? could this be true?????

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
A lot depends on the pads you are using the state of your disc rotors and if your caliper pistons are clean and free to return after braking. As an instance when you fit EBC Red Stuff you have to discard the anti squeal shims as I have on mine and they work bloody well without noise. Maybe a can of spray brake cleaner with the pads removed around the calipers and pistons might help.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Buster, seriously considering changing the pads as the discs are in v.good condition and i've cleaned the calipers with brakecleaner too but still no success. Starting to think it must be the compound of the pads? they're made by Apec,anyone had any experience of these???

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
i've got apecs on the r32 and they dont squeal but they do a bit on the mrs's mr2

stupid question but its not the wear indication, its just a bent bit of metal on the edge of the pad which could have got bent out of wack so even though you pads are new its rubbing on the disk.

also you could try taking the pads out and pumping the brake to push the pistons out and pushing them back in a couple of times. just dont let them come all the way out as they can be bugger to get back in. this worked for the mr2, i think the pistons get a tide mark and dont return properly sometimes

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
We're all a bunch of squealers

Mine suqeal but only in reverse! And they are brand new ferodos fitted 2 weeks ago. As I paid £60 to have them fitted I don't feel like taking them out, brushing everything & applying copper slip.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies, Comforting to know its not just my brakes! Checked the metal wear indicators and they're well away from the discs so its not them, think im gonna try removing the anti-squeal shims completely tomorrow and see what happens!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update! After an idea that my boss came up with that the squeal might be being amplified by the disc (bit like a large tuning fork?!) I've removed the disc and put copper grease on the mating surface between the hub and the disc working on the principal that copper grease lowers the frequency of the squeal so that we cannot hear it? And..................believe it or not it worked! No squeal !!!! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts