Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brakes...... Edited and revised!

Pants Pants Pants.....

Was driving to work the other day (car hadn't moved for 3 days) and it felt a little 'strange', as though it was a bit lighter (I know that sounds weird). Tyre pressures are fine, and fluids etc are all ok.

Big worry....... Brakes are not right. Pedal now travels 2/3 of the way before there is ANY effect at all, which it never did before, used to just have to give it a little tickle to stop.

Pressing the pedal with the engine off still builds up pressure quickly til it goes solid (dunno if thats indicative of anything tho). No funny sounds, and there is about 50% pad left on all 4 brakes.

This has developed over the 3 days the car hadn't been driven, anyone got any suggestions where to start looking for problems?

Edited to say....

Bo**ocks! Been having a chat with Gary at GTaRt about it, and the theory is the Master Cylinder may be shuffling off its mortal coil imminently. Which is what I had feared initially. He's not alone in that opinion so now I am getting worried.

Anyone ever changed one? Know what it costs? Where to get one?

Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn. I hate my car.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...

I drained the system completely and replaced the fluid with DOT 5.1 and its much better. Thing is, I don't know now if its right or not as after a week or two driving with crappy brakes, any improvement seems good. Definitely a lot better though so its on a back burner at the moment, although I will replace the cylinder over the summer anyway just in case.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Jock, don't know if they are available for the skyline but you can get refurb kits for lots of master cylinders containing replacement seals, springs etc. Gotta be a lot cheaper than a complete new master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, they are. ABout half the price (roughly) from Nissan (middlehurst). But then, unless you know what you're doing, you gotta pay someone else so may as well buy the whole thing to start with. Having said that, I'll probably have a go at that route first, cos a master cylinder is a pretty simple bit of kit inside.

Shall take plenty photos so I can hopefully help others out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts