3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the governments mobile stealth tax enforcers having been busy then

"Four top rally drivers banned after being caught in speed traps in Wales..."

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Originally reported by BBC
The roadside cameras picked up a total of 2,312 speeding offences - also including fans driving between different stages of the rally.
And I thought that speeders were just a handful of irresponsible drivers. Seems that the problem's worse than I thought then. I can't imagine doing 51 in a 30 - that's just insane, people could get killed or something. I never go over 30 anyway, even on motorways! :p :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought people suffocated if they went over 30 mile per hour

someones been telling me porkies...

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Just goes to show how acceptable speeding is in this day and age...

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I dont know mate. I never really got on with amphetamine sulphate

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Speed is good, driving fast aint...

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
its not the speed thats the prob, its the sudden stop

anyway like to see one of us try this defence:

Mr Trotman defending said: "People are prosecuted for speeding because of the risk to other road-users, but the degree of danger from these men is likely to be far less than with other drivers."

He said the cars were very sophisticated with and the drivers "are used to doing far in excess of these speeds".

"The danger to the general public is extremely minimal," he added.

the judge would be reaching for his black cap

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
All very true Alex, after all I for one have never seen a rally car on its roof or in a ditch.....etc

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
In part I agree with his stand. I think speed limits should be judged by the car (and drivers) abilities. One possible use of GPS speed control systems in cars would be to enforce this.

I don't see why I should have to drive at 30MPH just because someones talbot samba has brakes made of jelly.

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
At 40mph your reaction distance is 33% longer to the tune of approximately 10feet.

So at 30mph if there's an incident within 30feet of you, you're going to hit them at 30mph without hitting the brake.

At 40mph this distance is increase, as is your collision velocity.

If a child walks out on you 15yds away and you're doing 45mph, your car will hit them at 45mph. If you were doing 30mph, you may well of stopped and not hit them.

This is a fact, regardless of brakes and precisely why I don't speed around schools in the day at all.

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
The Talbot Samba........now that's a name from the the distant past!!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Lets all be honest and admit there is no defence for breaking a well signed speed limit, its the snide way they are enforced and the amount of cameras and their positioning that really gets up ones bugle.

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
Very true.

Incidentally, I had a bizarre one on my way to the Plough last week.

Driving down from Bracknell down the dual carriageway towards the Barrier Reef. Just after the right turn to Legoland there's a layby at the side of the road, I'm sure most of you know where I mean.

As I approached said layby my radar gadget beeped. Checked speed. Beeped again. Foot off gas. Beeped again, hit brake to get to speed limit. beep beep beep beep. In the layby was a completely unlit, unmarked vehicle with no visible occupants. As soon as I'd got past it, the beeping slowed down.

I wonder...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah blah blah blah, we have all heard it ALL before, so why the hell don't the government, cops, and general public sort out the tossers who :-

Don't use FOG lights when it's foggy, (like this morning) and do use them when it aint !
Don’t use dipped headlights in thunderstorms !
Use mobile phones whilst driving !
Pay due care and attention to the road and other road users !
ONLY USE "SPEED" CAMERA'S IN DESIGANTED DANGER AREA'S
Enforce VARIABLE speed restrictions (so I/we do not have to drive at 30mph on a road that 5 yrs ago was classified as a 50mph Limit, then re-classified to a 40moh limit, when the road has not changed and car safety features have got a lot better with ABS, Traction Control, Air Bags etc etc etc !!!)
Stop people doing their make-up whilst driving.
Stop people reading maps and notes while driving
Eating and drinking whilst driving
Smoking whilst driving

COS, WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING YOU ARE DRIVING !!!!

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Perhaps I was fortunate enough to go to a good primary school where we were taught the danger of roads, taught so well that I don't remember EVER running out into a road. Unless it's a joyrider (who won't be anywhere near speed limits anyway) then 99% of the time the only reason a kid will get knocked over is if they are running or walking into the road.
That stupid subvert on tv where that car slides into that kid with its front wheels locked up - was the car on the pavement? No, the car was in the right place, the kid was in the wrong place. You could say that if the kid had run out later then that could have happened at 15mph, so do we have 15mph speed limits then?
I blame the parents, and like Steve says, drivers who are making origami cranes whilst driving.

That's me done. I've managed to get Origami into a post so off to bed.

·
Old Member
814 Posts
This is another reason why that red football team has more supporters than Man. City, their mothers tkept telling them "Don't go near Main Road" Boom, Boom.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts