Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would let you all know that at TOTB my engine decided to let go on the high speed run. All seemed fine and was reading just over 180 on the speedo when I suddenly felt a lack of power followed by ALOT of smoke from my car. I got the RAC to tow the car home and decided to leave it until today to have a look. (I was guessing a blown piston)

Today I removed the plugs starting with no 6 (expected this to be the problem cylinder) and found that my nice new Iridium plug was melted and carried on to remover the rest which were all find apart from a little oil. Then I got my bendy torch and had a look down the sparkplug holes and found that I could see the small end of my conrod on No6 !!! :eek: Looks like its melted a hole in the middle of the piston. My car wasn`t the only car to have problems on the day pm the top speed run and I can only put it down to the heat. It was a very hot day and I`m sure intake temps were sky high.

Anyway I will re-build it again and keep you updated with all the normal pics etc but I may leave it a month as I`m all skyline`d out at the mo !! :)

Heres a dyno printout from last week which I`m very proud of and I`m sure it will be back to the same standard when done.

E

·
0 Posts
Gutting Rich. Can we expect more powwer to come from the engine re-build or are you just gonna do it as was?
What was that we were talking about in Busters thread last night??

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah I`ll build it to the same spec. Looks like I`ll only need one piston providing the bores are not damaged and I maywell stick a hole set of rings in and shells. Oh the joys of having to run the car in again :)

A few pics the run !!!

On a bright side I still run a 11.24 quarter on that run !!! :cool:

·
Registered
953 Posts
fcuk mate sorry to hear what happened u had good run other than that if i can do anything let us know

lee

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TBH you can`t have a high powered car and expect it to not go wrong. Obviously I was expecting to break another gearbox and not the engine :D I will fit it once I can be bothered to remove the engine again.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Richard give me a call when you get this message ok ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like pre-ignition to me...

Could there be something wrong with your fuel system?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My thoughts go out to you mate, your car was by far the nicest presented Skyline at TOTB IMHO (yours was cool though too tiggs :cool: :) )

Heres to a speedy recovery! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Richard Bell said:
No excessive det was registered on the Power FC. All I put it down to is the heat. It was a very hot day and a few other cars done the same thing !!
Well, if the spark plug is melted and the piston holed, then it must have been pre-ignition, right? Assuming you have temperature compensation added to the PowerFC and monitor EGT, of course...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update !!

Well we got the engine out of the car agian to day and removed the head for closer inspection of the bores etc etc. !!! All I can say is there is a large hole in the piston but I`m happy, If thats possible. Looks like the bore on no 6 is only just touched and should be sorted with a good hone. So I`ll be ordering my new piston on monday and the beast should be back sooner than expected. Only thing is I`m going to sling another set of rings/shells in and I`ll have to run the bugger in again :(

Looks like I may have had some luck for a change !!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sounds like you're a lucky chap indeed, hope the rebuild goes well.

Aren't no.6 cylinders particularly prone to overheating? Would it be worth yer while enlarging the oil ways a bit round it whilst you've got the engine apart?

Or maybe adding a spray bar (or extra sprays if it's already got one) for the bottom of the pistons?

Good luck.

·
Always Sideways
55 Posts
had the same problem...help????!?!?!?

RB 25 DET

just removed my plugs bercause of a small misfire this morning and part of the plug is worn away (the conductor for the spark, r shaped metal surround) , this is the second time this has happened and it seem to be overheating. I think it happened when i did a top speed run last night and was flat out for about 15 seconds, how can i overcome this problem ? im using uridium NGK -R PFR6J11, shall i try cooler plugs ??? please help!!!!

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
hi jody your best off starting a new thread in the tech section for this one - best include the spec your running, someone will be able to give advice ...

a starter for 10 would be that you may be running too lean, maybe go to a ngk 7 but still a 6 shouldnt be melting really ....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Richard...I'm a bit dissapointed as none of your pictures would open on my computer. I'd like to see your runs and a few pics of your car. When you guys gonna be out this way? I'm looking forward to hooking up with you and doing a few laps at the Nurnburgring. Good luck with your car.

Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts