Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am looking to buy my first Skyline, and am taking baby steps into the scene, looking at a 1993 GTS type J (60th anniversary) I wanted to start with something boring and slow, as this will be my first RHD vehicle. The vehicle I am looking at is in good condition, with ~91k km on the clock. I have reviewed the auction report which indicated good condition, no rust, no accidents, and minor scratches with some evidence of respray on the passenger side. I am currently having the car inspected by a reputable shop that specializes in Skylines/RBs and they have said mostly the same thing regarding condition. The timing belt cover indicates a belt replacement in March of 2018 at 84k km. The shop is recommending I replace the belt anyway, along with the water pump and oil pump, to be safe.

My main questions are:

1. Is that necessary? My assumption was that with the timing belt replaced so recently, the car shouldn't need much more, especially being a bone-stock RB20DE with low miles. Do oil pumps/water pumps fail that early?

2. What should that cost to have done? I was quoted ~$1800 for parts and labor to replace the belt/water pump/oil pump.

3. Is there a way for me to know if the oil pump/water pump were replaced with the belt? (Either by inspection or some type of Japanese maintenance records?

4. Unrelated to the service, should the respray bother me if theres no signs of damage otherwise? I plan on wrapping the car so the current finish isn't too concerning unless it drastically reduces the cars value.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"I am currently having the car inspected by a reputable shop that specializes in Skylines/RBs and they have said mostly the same thing regarding condition. " you said

How are they "inspecting"? Reading the sheet like everybody else is doing?

To your first question:
You can never tell if everything around a used car is true. Now you are going to import a vehicle and spend so much time in the search and finally all the money to get the car running legally for you and then you are hesitating to change the timing belt based on suggestions and half knowledge butwith full risk that the **** will fly around your ears after the belt ripped. I guess you can see where I want to lead you? With the belt you do the water pump usually anways, and its not really cheap, since there are many aftermarket products that work fine. Oil pump IMHO is something you can argue about.

To your second question: I have no clue about american prices, neither about prices for parts and shipping and customs if you have something like that in the US, nor about costs for mechanics hours of working.

To third: Sometimes your had a nice preowner and your car will come with a full folder filled with maintenance dates and parts and costs and whatsoever - but even if you have and want to bother trying to translate all the stuff PLUS going in full trust into such documents and that nothing is missing afterwards; Check my answer on 1st, its the same ^^

And to the last, I wonder how your auction sheet only says something about respray but nothing else like minor accident, rust or anything like that. If you ask me, if you are looking for a car thats pretty stock and in good condition, stay away with an offer that let you have some question marks open. Buying overseas is risk enough and you never know what you really get, so why not minimizing the risk as far as possible in before?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"I am currently having the car inspected by a reputable shop that specializes in Skylines/RBs and they have said mostly the same thing regarding condition. " you said

How are they "inspecting"? Reading the sheet like everybody else is doing?

To your first question:
You can never tell if everything around a used car is true. Now you are going to import a vehicle and spend so much time in the search and finally all the money to get the car running legally for you and then you are hesitating to change the timing belt based on suggestions and half knowledge butwith full risk that the **** will fly around your ears after the belt ripped. I guess you can see where I want to lead you? With the belt you do the water pump usually anways, and its not really cheap, since there are many aftermarket products that work fine. Oil pump IMHO is something you can argue about.

To your second question: I have no clue about american prices, neither about prices for parts and shipping and customs if you have something like that in the US, nor about costs for mechanics hours of working.

To third: Sometimes your had a nice preowner and your car will come with a full folder filled with maintenance dates and parts and costs and whatsoever - but even if you have and want to bother trying to translate all the stuff PLUS going in full trust into such documents and that nothing is missing afterwards; Check my answer on 1st, its the same ^^

And to the last, I wonder how your auction sheet only says something about respray but nothing else like minor accident, rust or anything like that. If you ask me, if you are looking for a car thats pretty stock and in good condition, stay away with an offer that let you have some question marks open. Buying overseas is risk enough and you never know what you really get, so why not minimizing the risk as far as possible in before?
I’m sorry, I should have clarified. The car is already in the US, but it is about 1000 miles from me. I had the current owner take it to the shop there and they did a full, in-person inspection.
As for the auction report, it indicated “wavy paint indicating respray” on the rear quarter. No accidents or other repair was indicated. The current shop agreed it looks resprayed but there is no obvious repairs (no body filler, seam sealer, etc).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi. Sounds like the shop are giving good advice to be honest. Not sure I would bother changing the oil pump if it's making good pressure but thats said it's not bad advice as oil pumps are a known weakness on RBs.
Timing belt? Well I would, its not unknown for people to tell lies regarding having changed the belt so for peace of mind I usually change the belt regardless of what I've been told. Might as well fit a new water pump too. Then just go for new oil with filter and fuel filter too.
Bodywork I wouldn't give an opinion on without seeing it in the flesh but so long as there is minimal visible rust (or even better none) and you can't poke holes in it then hopefully it's fine. Not a surprise if it's had damage/rust repairs as it's old. All in all though it sounds like a decent car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts