Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive seen one i like. Its actually at the bottom of my girlfriends road! The guy who has it imports JAP cars for a living (has all sorts 300zx rx7's).

He seems like an alright bloke and seems to shift his cars fairly fast so im guessing they must be in good condition.

I spoke to him last night and asked him if it was ok to bring a mechanic with me to have a check over the car and he seemed a bit funny about it. His words were "Youve got to trust me its a great car", "Ive had people coming round saying they know what there talking about before and told them to **** off".

He then said ill turn the car on you can listen to the engine, i got excited at this point because ive never heard one start up before hehehe.

It started straight away no hesitations or anything and it sounded like there was some sort of big fan blowing or something but that went away pretty quick, but like i said before ive never heard one before so it could be what it sounds like anyway (im assuming it is becuase it did sound fine to me).

There was one thing though....When he turned the engine there was some sort of clicking sounded like it was coming from inside the car around the top of the dashboard by the windscreen it didnt sound like it was coming from the engine bay. He said it was just the AC and it will stop which it did.

I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and know if it is the AC or is something more severe.

The bodywork on the car is mint. He had the skirts/front bumper/rear bumper resprayed, he said they were in a different colour and it looked disgusting which is why he got it done. The body doesnt look like it has been redone and the interior was very clean.

He said the car has had an MOT and flew through it with no problems at all and it has 6months of tax on it and has already been registered.

Every time i drive past this car i want it even more so im hoping its a good one, just a shame he was a bit funny about me bringing a mechanic to have a look but he said if you want him to have a look bring him. So im going there tonight at 8pm!!!! At the end of the day i dont know why he thinks i would say ok then heres £5000 i aint bothered what the car goes like or whether it works properly!!!

My concern at the moment is what that clicking was....I hope it is something simple!!!

Thanks for any help guys/girls.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My Aircon unit does click about 8 or 9 times when the car is sometimes or if that is turned on with the car. That stops though and runs sweet as a nut.

HOWEVER - You have to ask yourself the question why has he told mechanics to **** off before? Have they told him the real quality of the car. I'm new to skylines too by only a couple of weeks but i know opne thing for certain with Jap sports cars - if your not sure then walk away. When they go wrong you need some heavy pockets.

Keep an eye out for smoke on start up ( cold start ) - also keep an eye out for any smoke under boost. Check the oil etc for gunk, have a peek underneath for any leaks.

Also if he imports he should have some documentation showing what grade it was.

Dont buy anything lower than a grade 4. From my experience of imports a grade 4 is pretty much showroom condition.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
my opinion for what its worth and I am also currently hunting a skyline, you have every right as a potential purchaser to have a qualified professional look over any car you are considering purchasing. For myself I intend to get the AA or my pet mechanic to look over any car I'm serious about.

1. its a large chunk of cash you are parting with
2. Its gonna be a bigger chunk of cash you are gonna loose if its a "lemon".

There is always gonna be another car, if you have any concerns at all, walk away. It may be nice but there are a lot of nice skylines around.

·
Seasoned Member
4,929 Posts
I have the same clicking above the dash, nothing to worry about I dont think.

Any car dealer should be very welcoming for a mechanic to come around to look at the car, that is supposed to be part of the sales technique. Any salesman should give the buyer as much confidence in them as is possible to clinch a sale! :cheers:

I would probably voice that concernt to him and see his reaction.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hi mate - just a bit of advise - don't buy from him!! - Get it inspected - its all so common that a newbie buys a sh1tter - it needs to be checked properly, as do most peformance cars. Any decent retailer, should have no issue with a further inspection. as for the aircon - don't worry about that noise. Has it been delimited/ Re calibrated for MPH, has he done the fog light? etc, Cam belt done? - Look at plenty of skylines, loads here for sale.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
That knocking/clicking is a motor that's broken it controls one of the flaps, just taken mine out all it does is let a bit more flow out when changing the flow of air to different areas, it's a dashboard out job, about 2 hours work if your quick....

Here's the old unit with it's broken cogs, I wanted it out because the knocking annoyed me...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mate - just a bit of advise - don't buy from him!! - Get it inspected - its all so common that a newbie buys a sh1tter - it needs to be checked properly, as do most peformance cars. Any decent retailer, should have no issue with a further inspection. as for the aircon - don't worry about that noise. Has it been delimited/ Re calibrated for MPH, has he done the fog light? etc, Cam belt done? - Look at plenty of skylines, loads here for sale.
Yeh it has the fog light and has been converted to UK spec. Im getting it looked at tonight by my dads mate who has been a mechanic since he was 20 (now 50 odd) so i can trust him to tell me if its a complete piece of shite. Hes always looked after my whole families cars including uncles, cousins and he is good so im sure he'll know if its a shitter. (and he knows what a skyline is which is a + hehe) The guy has not actually got his own shop he does it from his house and has all his cars parked outside. Maybe he is just a tosser and thinks he knows more about the cars then any mechanic or maybe its a shithole and hes worried hes going to be told.

Another thing he said to me was that he has a Nissan mechanic in Dartford (not far from him) who looks after his cars. But again this means nothing if its a pile of ****.

Im hoping it isnt because it does seem like a really nice one. And for me is the perfect time to get one since the MOT and Insurance is due on my car very soon i dont want to pay out on it when i got the chance of getting my dream. But ive also got to remember not to let that cloud my judgement!

Im glad it is not a major problem and i guess that fan sound was the aircon blasting some air out when it was turned on.

Im getting excited over something i shouldnt be i think :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That knocking/clicking is a motor that's broken it controls one of the flaps, just taken mine out all it does is let a bit more flow out when changing the flow of air to different areas, it's a dashboard out job, about 2 hours work if your quick....

Here's the old unit with it's broken cogs, I wanted it out because the knocking annoyed me...

Well then looks like the decider is if the engine is in good nick then!

Thanks for letting me know :cheers:

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The big fan blowing on something is the viscous fan and is completly normal. I can understand a bit about the mechanic inspecting it. When i've sold cars in the past its always been a hasle when a 'mechanic' turns up too. Alot of the time they are just a mate who knows a bit more than the buyer does and tear the car to pieces without really knowing what they are talking about. I had one 'mechanic' tell me the headgasket was blown on an old car and i would have to knock off a grand when all that was wrong was there was a very slight leak from the rocker cover. BTW the AA don't do car inspections anymore.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The big fan blowing on something is the viscous fan and is completly normal. I can understand a bit about the mechanic inspecting it. When i've sold cars in the past its always been a hasle when a 'mechanic' turns up too. Alot of the time they are just a mate who knows a bit more than the buyer does and tear the car to pieces without really knowing what they are talking about. I had one 'mechanic' tell me the headgasket was blown on an old car and i would have to knock off a grand when all that was wrong was there was a very slight leak from the rocker cover. BTW the AA don't do car inspections anymore.

Yeh i can understand what he meant by that to. Im sure he has had plenty of people bringing a "mechanic" to have a look at his cars and saying there are things wrong with it when they know nothing about it and are talking out there arse, so i can see how that would be annoying.

The mechanic i am taking though is very good and he will be the one helping me look after it. He is going to know a **** load more than i do so i think its worth taking him there, and as a buyer i think i should have the right to let someone check it over to make sure its the right one for me and its not going to cause me problems in the long run.

Thanks for all the suggestions/opinions this is really helping me out :D

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Whats special about this one? How old is it? Has it got any goodies on it? If its fairly standard i would leave it along because when you start wanting more power (and you will) it can be very expensive. Have you thought about something like this or others that are on this forum. Prices on here seem lower than everywhere else.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has a turbo timer, standard exhaust but i want to put a Japspeed exhaust on it as i heard they are very good. Not sure what it has engine wise (will find out tonight). I will want more power at some point but not for a good while yet and i think a fairly standard car will do me fine for now.

The car is a 95 it has some nice skirts, and front bumper (not sure what make).

There are not chips or dents on the body either i think it is a very nice example.

Another reason i want a fairly standard one is i want to feel as if ive put the effort in and made it my own not one that someone else has put bits they like on it as it is there design/way they want the car to look.

That GTST does look very nice and tempting though but jumping from an astra to a skyline is a big enough leap for me let alone a 300bhp one. Although if this one goes down the pan i will definetly be taking a look at that one if it is still available.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Mine was pretty standard when i got it and i must have lasted about a week before i was putting extra things on it. Your choice obviously but it is so much cheaper buying a car that has already been tuned a bit. Have you driven it yet as a standard skyline really isn't that quick and if you add up the cost of getting to 300 bhp you can easily add a grand to the price.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not driven yet no :( Will tonight though. What made me say that is alot of people on here say its just plain stupid to go from something slow to an astra? Where do you draw the line though?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts