Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to go to Japan to live/work for a few years. I have heard they have laws restricting vehicles to be sold/driven etc that are older than 20 years. Can anyone clarifiy this rule? I would really like to buy/keep a vehicle that is older than 20 years by the time i get there till when i leave and have the car exported back.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
cant see it myself,ive watched tons of vids of bosozoku meets and drive outs and most of those are over 30 years old,still plenty of road going ae86s about too

you could drop andy at powervehicles an email,im sure he knows the system inside out by now

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think it is okay to buy one. Only problem i see with it is it has to be able to pass JCI every 2 years.

·
not mad just autistic
725 Posts
and the taxation is very heavy on old cars for road use in japan

·
Registered
490 Posts
No when you export the car any road tax (and possibly JCI) that is left on the car is refunded when you de-register the car and turn in the plates. It does not need a JCI to be exported but it may have to be towed to the port.

When i sent my car, i took the car to the port. Took the plates off, drove to DVLA (in a diffrent car) de-registered it, they refunded me some of my road tax that was left, i handed them the plates. Took the paperwork showing it was de-registered and plates were returned, to the company at the port shipping my car. They inspected it and off i went.

Also your military right? May want to check with the base you are going to as i think you can only have one car under your name unless you are married.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts