Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"i'll be and hour or so dear just goin to potter with the car"

famous last words.......:uhoh:
several (?) hours later my engine went from this.

through various stages....

anyone know what this mark means ? if anything

via

and finally

And i actually went out intending to fix a problem with my drivers door lock!!!!

Ahh well she looks alot better (opinions on colour?) and in actual fact it were a good thing i did this cos half the bolts were barely finger tight!!:uhoh:

for any one that fancies a go at taking these off there are ten bolts (actually cross head screw things) per side. the exhaust side is the simplest as only two bolt snad two big jubilee clips hold the resonator box on. then pull of pipwork undo bolts ...tap with rubber mallet and she come loose.

the inlet side is trickier mainly for accees....expecially the bolt under the throttle body. I had to take off the rubber hose on throttle body and move the throttle pulley back to shift her out ..once again after loosening with a mallet.

the main issue with all this is fiddleing and access take ya time and its simple enough.

iI reused old oil rubber oild seals, and so far no signs of leaks. remains to be seen how the paint holds up to the heat though.

and im sure she will go at least ten miles perhour faster now!! :drivin:

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
That looks spot on hesh, the paint marks on the camshaft i think are there to distinguish the in and exh cam, the inlet one has a white mark on it, exh red well mine did anyway.

What paint did you use?

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well i had run out of primer so i merely cleaned up the covers with degreaser and made sure they were absolutely dry. they are quite textured and rough so easy enough ti get a good key onthe surface then several coats of plasticoat metal protekt "metalic copper" then a metalic sealer over the top .... these are the same paints i did my wheels with on my last car, and with out the sealer that lasted a good three or four months on the wheels without chipping ....

ideally i would have used primer ..but as i say id run out so we shall see how long the finish holds up tothe heat.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was suprised how easy it was. you never know i might even have a go at fitting my new cams my self when i get em .....

and the clear cam cover.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Looks very good, i might have to give it a go myself now. According to one website the paint you used is good for 150 degrees C so it should be fine.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh thats handy to know! specially since ive already painted it and if it comes off im gonna look very silly.

I've gotta say though ive used these paints for years in spray form, and ive not yet had a bad problem, though this will be potentially the hottest component ive done. The wheels on my last car used to get fairly hot under braking, though obviously not as hot as the engine (i hope!!)

My motor bike used to get very hot in traffic and id resprayed the radiator (again no primer) as it looked a tad lived in and that never peeled over 6months of daily (ab)use.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
refitting updfate

been running the car all week and no problems with flaking or leaks so all is well ...so far

just note to say this is covered inthe engine manual and the torque settings for the bolts are 2.0 to 3.9 Nm. with a specific tightening sequence similar tothat of the head so as not to warp the covers on torqueing down.

·
Registered
834 Posts
do you have to take the front cam pully cover off or can you get the rocker covers off without taking the front pully cover off too

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no you dont have to take the cover off. while the cam covers do almost sit under it ther is enuff space to lift them off with no problems.

having said that if you intend to paint the cam belt cover or do anything to it then the bolt for the belt cover on the lower right (as you look at the front of the car) is easier to access with all the air inlet gubbins and the head cover off so it would make sence to do it all in a one shot deal.

i didnt want to do anything to my cover so left well alone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts