Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If im fitting NGK IRIDIUM BKR7EIX plugs, instead of NGK IRIDIUM BKR5EIX which is the recommended plug, could I cause any harm. I understand that these are the same plugs only rated to a higher temp. Is this right.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If im fitting NGK IRIDIUM BKR7EIX plugs, instead of NGK IRIDIUM BKR5EIX which is the recommended plug, could I cause any harm. I understand that these are the same plugs only rated to a higher temp. Is this right.
they will work but tbh most people go for a colder plug than standard not hotter ,as everyone knows you want to reduce engine temps

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought a plugs rating was to do with the temperature that it can withstand not produce. With this train of thought I thought it would be better to go for the BKR7EIX plugs, instead of NGK IRIDIUM BKR5EIX. Am I picking it up wrong.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I thought a plugs rating was to do with the temperature that it can withstand not produce. With this train of thought I thought it would be better to go for the BKR7EIX plugs, instead of NGK IRIDIUM BKR5EIX. Am I picking it up wrong.
yes basicly you put the hotter plugs in those plugs will heat to a higher temp increasing your chance of det not good! the last two cylinders of your engine run hotter than the others two when you take your plugs out you can usaly see by tip colour and det is the biggest killer to most rbs

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now im going to show my complete ignorance, but what is det. Cheers for the info, I think ill just stick with the BKR5EIX to be safe. Cheers again

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hey Slingo your getting a bit muddled mate.
The higher the number the colder it is NOT hotter.

BKR7EIX are ideal for a mildly-moderatly modified GTS-T and are a good upgrade.

Sharpy DET means detonation.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
f*ck, c*nt, s*it, ive just bought 6 off BKR5EIX of ebay, i could have got the BKR7EIX's for less, not to worry, i think ill be safe with what ive got. cheers

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey Slingo your getting a bit muddled mate.
The higher the number the colder it is NOT hotter.

BKR7EIX are ideal for a mildly-moderatly modified GTS-T and are a good upgrade.

Sharpy DET means detonation.
ssshhhhiittt:bs2: dont listen to me. tbh i didnt even look at the numbers i saw the word hotter and dived in:eek: sorry mate

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
ssshhhhiittt:bs2: dont listen to me. tbh i didnt even look at the numbers i saw the word hotter and dived in:eek: sorry mate
:slap: Seriously mate. If you are any way unsure then it is best to say nothing or if you think you are right but aren't sure then always state that you're not 100%.
Better that than causing someone to fit a wrong part and risk damage to their car.

At least you apologised :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
:slap: Seriously mate. If you are any way unsure then it is best to say nothing or if you think you are right but aren't sure then always state that you're not 100%.
Better that than causing someone to fit a wrong part and risk damage to their car.

At least you apologised :)
tbh theres no point in posting a maybe or might fit your car post anyway and im sure im speaking for everyone when i say you want to hear from someone with first hand experience,but most of the time i read the post properly sorry again mate :eek:

·
Registered
828 Posts
It is actually quite a common mistake because i think naturally most people assume the higher the number the hotter it is when its not its the other way around.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi slingo dont worry about it mate you intentions were good, cheers wisecobandit for your help.

The car in front is a Toyota!

The car that just flew past it was a Skyline!

·
Registered
204 Posts
What are the spark gaps on the BKR7EIX?
ive been looking into getting newones too for a mildly tuned gtst too! are these ideal?

thanks john

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
We always run the BKR7EIX on tuned GTST including our 512bhp TD06 GTST. Could do with the 8s if we run any more power (i.e. higher boost or Nitrous)

Plugs gaps should be 0.8mm and we always have them in stock for next day delivery at £ 48 right now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are the spark gaps on the BKR7EIX?
ive been looking into getting newones too for a mildly tuned gtst too! are these ideal?

thanks john
I believe the gap should be 0.8mm, there is loads of threads on this stuff in here but it take a bit of looking.Also you could ask the supplier you get them from.

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
tbh theres no point in posting a maybe or might fit your car post anyway and im sure im speaking for everyone when i say you want to hear from someone with first hand experience,but most of the time i read the post properly sorry again mate :eek:
As i said, my main point was if you don't know for sure then its best not post at all. However in some cases, i.e. no one else seems to be responding and you think you know the answer then a half idea can at least give give someone an idea of where to start looking, just be sure to make say you are not preaching as gospel.
Anyway, you admit your error and i understand that it was just a slight confusion. Didn't mean to single you out for the firing line or anything :)

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
The adviced stock gap for spark plugs is 1.1mm! But many go for the ones with 0.8mm (in fact it´s 0.76mm) to have better ignition. Simple rule is: Always run the biggest gap, your ignition system can handle without any probs like misfiring etc.

Don´t go for the 7´s when your engine is completely stock mate. You´ll have fouling cause your spark plugs won´t be working in optimum temperature range! You can go one step colder, shouldn´t make too much of difference concerning fouling etc., but not two steps.

So go for BKR5EIX-11 (1.1 gap) or BKR5EIX (0.8 gap) if you want stock heatrange. If you want one colder, go for BKR6EIX-11 or BKR6EIX.

Hope this helps mate! :cheers:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The adviced stock gap for spark plugs is 1.1mm! But many go for the ones with 0.8mm (in fact it´s 0.76mm) to have better ignition. Simple rule is: Always run the biggest gap, your ignition system can handle without any probs like misfiring etc.

Don´t go for the 7´s when your engine is completely stock mate. You´ll have fouling cause your spark plugs won´t be working in optimum temperature range! You can go one step colder, shouldn´t make too much of difference concerning fouling etc., but not two steps.

So go for BKR5EIX-11 (1.1 gap) or BKR5EIX (0.8 gap) if you want stock heatrange. If you want one colder, go for BKR6EIX-11 or BKR6EIX.

Hope this helps mate! :cheers:
Yes it does, cheers, the plugs ive ordered are BKR5EIX-11, why is the gap bigger on these.:guiness:

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
No probs mate! :cheers:
You ordered the right ones, you´ll be fine! In fact you ordered the NGK equivalent to the stock plugs. Heatrange=5 and gap=1.1mm .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts