Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I find myself pondering more improvements to my car so far i've added a HKS power flow induction kit,1 bar ecu,R34 turbo's and have some Iridium plugs in the pipeline.The exhaust is standard but not blowing so i don't really want to change it until i have to,now i know this question has been asked before but what would you do next in terms of performance?

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
Stages

Bite the bullet and do the exhaust & decat. You will not regret it. Then add a boost controller & uprated intercooler with a hard pipe kit. If you're feeling flush, get downpipes as well.

Pause for a few months. Drive & enjoy. If it's still not enough (it won't be...):

Steel internal your R34 turbos. Swap your 1 bar ECU for a programmable unit (F Con V Pro or Power FC) and get the lot mapped for 1.2 bar.

Okay, now it's time to seriously consider where you want to take your toy. Track weapon or road warrior? From here you can decide on the profiles for the new cams, with vernier pulleys, metal head gasket and another mapping session.

After that, it's bigger turbos and up from there.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I understand why an exhaust and downpipe are good mods but do they have that much effect on performance i'm guessing that i'd get about 20 odd bhp max from the both of them which is good of course,also is the intercooler that restrictive in standard form i thought that it was good upto a certain level of bhp but would it be beneficial to change it now or is this a waste of time until i get to the required bhp level?
Perhaps i should outline what i'm after at this point,low down power is what i'm after 0-60 times are good on this car but could be better i feel i have enough top end power but would like to get there quicker.

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
I would do
1) exhaust , downpipes ,
2) ECU ( Programable
3) cams, intercooler (standard intercooler is good for 500 according to some)
4) Turbos ( Although I thought the R34 GTR tubbies were steel)
5) Clutch

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
turbo elbows will help with spool up times and eliminating turbine stall when the pressure is dumped (ie gear change) made mine much more driveable. Pop them in when changing the downpipes as you will only have to whip that lot off again to do it

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Well, I think as most mods will actually increase power at the top of the rpm range, or move the power band up, there are very few things you can do to improve low down rpm grunt. Any mods to decrease the turbo lag are the way forward.

The skyline is a big car, it takes a bit to get it going, not like my Ibiza on the other hand ;)

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys thats great.I have one question Applejack stated that the stock intercooler may be good for 500 bhp my car at a rough estimate could be pushing higher up the 300 bhp scale would a change of intercooler be any benefit now?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Changing the intercooler now would give you very little increase on its own. As you get over 400bhp temperatures in the engine become a problem so my list would be :-

1. exhaust + downpipes (will give a noticable gain)
2. intercooler + oilcooler (keep the temps down)
3. clutch
4. ECU + boost control (R34 Turbos should be good for 1.1-1.2bar)
5. uprated radiator (next on my list)

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
My next step is going to be the Turbo Elbows and actually getting the turbos changed to steel internals (If they are not already as Mark @ Abbey reckons they might already be steel). Then I will be changing my Mines 1bar chip to a fully mappable one and whacking her upto about 1.2bar. Next the intercooler and MHG then from there I'm not sure yet. Maybe go to a twin plate clutch but not sure I will need to in all honesty as the standard one should be good for just over 400bhp I heard.

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
Details

Stock I/C good for up to 1.2 bar, but an upgrade helps flow, and warm weather running.

R34 turbines are ceramic, good to 1.15 bar officially.

Exhaust & decat can add about 20-30 horses, plus nice noise and noticable response increase.

If you do not already have an oil cooler, get one. Essential.

For low end torque, apparently bigger tubs & reprofiled cams can help, but I haven't gone that far so will not guess.

My R33 is running 1.2 bar on steel internalled R33 turbos (non-roller), HKS exhaust/downpipes/irridium plugs/EVC4 boost controller, Mine's stage 1 ECU, A'PEXi Power intake induction, Abbey decat, Mocal oil cooler. This is with a stock clutch that will need replacing eventually. Current output is 358bhp + 309 ft/lb ATH.

My next stage is an uprated intercooler. But that's a while away.

Having done this lot in two hits in under a year, I would advise doing things a little slower to allow appreciation & thinking time.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi forgot to say have an oil cooler as it's jap import and triple plate clutch with lightened flywheel.R34 turbo's are ceramic and can take boost to 1.2 bar,think i'm going to go for the exhaust and decat pipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts