Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I automatically think no but am I just too old skool?

Doing research in other forums and YouTube vids and people are hosing down their engine bay as part of the cleaning process without covering anything at all.

Has anybody done this with the GT? any tips on doing so.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or an annoying common question.

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
Bilt hamber surfex hd in a spray bottle watered down a fair bit and a paint brush to work it in, wipe it off after with a old rag.. It's a amazing cleaner that can be watered down and used on just about everything..

I've washed it off with low pressure hose before but only on the wife's cheap daily car.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Steam cleaned mine before just covered all electrical parts and was fine did it when I first had it was bay was filthy, not had to do it again since just give it wipe over now with damp cloth.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steam cleaned mine before just covered all electrical parts and was fine did it when I first had it was bay was filthy, not had to do it again since just give it wipe over now with damp cloth.

I have a friend who has steam cleaned all his cars never had an issue, I am very tempted to do this and then do as you damp cloth every clean after but I'm scared!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would like to know if this is ok as well. I've heard that you could just bag the alternator and starter and it should be fine. Not really sure though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
interesting post i was beaten to start this thread.

Looking to give mine a good hose down and clean too, but i will want to do it by removing the top engine cover so the plenum can get a good wash too. May as well as it will be getting painted soon.

I will probably start and cover the earth points, alternator and any wiring i can see. Question i have is will the coil packs need to be covered or not as these will be exposed without the top engine cover?

I will be attempting to give it a mild power wash using my pressure washer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Sid, sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet. I will do soon though. On another note, are you looking to do a full re-spray, or a strip down with a color change?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I watch a guy hose his alternator directly on purpose to prove that his scooby will still afterwards, and it did. His argument "what do you think happens when a jeep goes into water? Still works fine"

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey Sid, sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet. I will do soon though. On another note, are you looking to do a full re-spray, or a strip down with a color change?
For the moment nothing major, just take the top engine cover off exposing the plenum and the rest of the block and a good wash. Mine is pretty dirty as i have never cleaned it since owning, but it gives me chance to give everything else close inspection. Im just thinking of painting the plenum for now and whilst its off maybe put plenum spacer on. Other than my LPG i have'nt needed to do any mods to the engine other than regular service.

I am trying to look for this red paint crinkle, sprayed it on a subaru headers once and it looked ace. 350gt blue body and red heart!

·
Registered
12 Posts
For the moment nothing major, just take the top engine cover off exposing the plenum and the rest of the block and a good wash. Mine is pretty dirty as i have never cleaned it since owning, but it gives me chance to give everything else close inspection. Im just thinking of painting the plenum for now and whilst its off maybe put plenum spacer on. Other than my LPG i have'nt needed to do any mods to the engine other than regular service.

I am trying to look for this red paint crinkle, sprayed it on a subaru headers once and it looked ace. 350gt blue body and red heart!

Done by hand you will never get an engine clean just using water the water just drips off I recommend degreaser and a cloth takes a bit longer but worth the trouble

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts