Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't ure where to put this as its not really about the sky but has the potential to qualify for this forum if I decide to run with the idea!!
Had to sell the sky mainly for practicality reasons for new arrival o my daughter!!
In the hunt for a cheap (1400) quick tuneable practical car I went and bought a subaru!!!
Jdm classic 1995 sti , 275 hp out the box.
Had accident damage history hence why it was fairly cheap.
Anyway driven it handful of times, max 400 miles done and it threw bit of a wobbly!!
Temp rose to 3/4 and heater blew hot and cold (you can see where this is going :()
Anyway cut long story short filled it up, cardidnt over heat etc and seems fine.
Did sniffer test though as wasn't convinced and it failed!!
Headgasket gone more to the point going I think.

Quotes!!
1400 across the board and they recommend changing shells at same time as they don't deal with the contamination very well!! Ouch!!

So one for being slightly different,
I know my way round the rb very well, and I'm thinking for te same money I'd be able to throw an rb25 with running gear for the same if not slightly less money and have a very different scooby to anything on the road!!

The prob with the boxer engine and box is anything over 350 hp your into breaking everything territory :(
So rather than spunk 1400 on a engine that in he insight doesn't tick all the boxes for me, why don't I throw in a Nissan ;)
Think the scooby guys will get the hump due to its herratige, just wanted thoughts an opinions really??

Long term project due to family an finances but think it should be pretty fun,
Car only weighs 1200kg anyway

Bodywork will be time attack style, wide jun style arches eventually with black and silver theme.....

Am I mad????

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I notices jap parts company compete don't they?
Have seen there build thread but its not got a great deal of info on it so was going to contact them.
I just fancy something different for a change.
1200 kg with 400 hp rear wheel drive should be fun on track.

This is long term goal, will be stock rb initially until I get the geometry set up correctly etc

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Scooby engines are soft as cheese mate...stick to the rb25det you'll not regret it...shouldnt cost much either

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already looked at 1j and 2j, would rather rb over 1j anyway tbh as correct me if I'm wrong but manual gearboxes are hard to come by and expensive!!
Definately won't be going back to the boxer,
Like I say the scooby purists are gonna hate this but I think an rb scooby is going to be quite a nice combination.
I've always loved the rb, very reliable and can take anything you throw at it if well maintained.
The money I sell the boxer and gearbox for will cover the cost of the rb, rest would be prop gearbox and time I guess!!
Never done anything like this before but hoping with help from few wizards on here should be fairly simple!!! Haha famous last words!!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know for a fact that to buy just the 2j on its own is best part of 800/900 then that again for the manual transmission!!!
I like the rb anyway tbh, I never had any probs with mine at all, easily tuneable plenty tuners locally and easy to get hold of!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts