Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is a weird one and i'm not sure what to make of it.

I have had new tyres fitted on the rear of the car. Took the wheels off left the car on stands for two days got the tyres fitted to the wheels and then put them back on.

Now the problem i have is the car doesn't feel safe. I don't know how to describe the problem below 60mph no problems unless i accelarate harder than usual. Over 60 and the car feels like it's sttering it's self sharpy to the left and then the right a couple of times. Similar to when driving on a bumpy road on it does it on a smooth stright. I can be driving in a dead stright line not moving the wheel at all and it seems hard to keep it going stright.

I have checked wheel nut tightness, tyre pressures, steering fluid there is no hicas light on can find no broken parts on suspension or brakes.

Any suggestions please as i'm hating driving it atm :thumbsdown:

·
I'm bringing sexy back
962 Posts
you probably need to scrub the tyres in for a bit to get the releasing agent off the rubber, catches a lot of people out. It also sounds like the car is camber hunting....another fun game to play lol :eek7:

·
Registered
577 Posts
My car has a similar situation where it was fine up to 60mph, then you had to turn the wheel to the left to keep it in a straight line when you went faster than that. As you slowed down going back down through 60, it would correct itself.
Just had a full geometry/steering alignment check, and all four wheels were out in some way or other. Runs fine now, straight as an arrow, and tracks through corners with more precision.
Not sure how yours would have happened just by doing what you did, but may be worth a go.

M

·
0 Posts
I had tyres fitted last week and ever since the back end seems to steer out a little. These tyres, however, were not brand spankers. Whilst the wheels were off, had a good butchers at the shocks and found one to be leaking. Oddly, it feels as if it is this side (offside rear) that is dipping slightly when going over bumps. I take it the feeling your talking about is your stomach insides tensing up..... lol because that's what i felt and a little moist in places :eek: ... lol :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spunds similar prok ;)

the tyres are bridgestone and i have them at 40 psi all round, i guess it's crrect as it's how they sent the wheels back to me

·
Registered
361 Posts
have a similar problem. only really on backing off at around 60 my car shaves, sometimes violently and my steering wheel is off. Havent had a knock or kerbed at all. Can be going in a straight line and sometimes wheelis perfectly straight then sometimes goes off straight. usually to the right. is this a camber/hicas problem?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so you think they inflated the tyres too much too?

i'm going to get the tyres, balancing, camber and tracking all done i think and see what it throws up

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have no idea for these new tyres no, i would have thought the people who ftted the tyres on the wheels and inflated them would have know though

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
had a quick look working 7 days a week atm will have a propper look when i'm next off. It just seems strange it's since the new tyres went on. Will get them rebalanced and tracking done also i think

·
Registered
577 Posts
Surely the pressures depend on the tyre size/profile. Nissan recommend 2.4BAR for my Falken 225/50R16's, which my local pump equates to 35 PSI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts