Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped the car in to Abbey last week as a couple of things had been niggling me. No worries, all minor stuff dealt with in a day. Needed a new oil cooler due to a small seepage, but it would be in on Friday and the car would be all sorted for Saturday.

Saturday comes, Tony calls me and says the car is fine, and driving on road test it was okay except that he was unhappy with the amount of oil it was dumping in the catch tank. So he'd like to keep the car until Monday when they could do full compression and leakdown tests.

Monday arrives and I hear nothing all morning. Half past three, Mark calls. "It's not good news." he says.

Sigh. Here we go again.

Done a piston, probably a ring land. Hey-ho, walking is good exercise and I'll be doing a lot of it for a while.

So, enjoy driving your Skylines folks, and I'll join you with the car returned stronger than before (deja vu...) sometime in the autumn.

For those wanting the design details, it's going to be staying 2.6 but with a 0.5mm overbore, forged pistons, reinforced rods, a head refresh and a one piece steel propshaft.

Sometime before the end of 2007.

Have fun. See you later.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Feel for ya fella but couldn't help smiling at the thread title!!

·
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers chaps

Keith, thanks for the offer. A lottery win this Saturday would be great. Ta. :D

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Bummer dude.... But she will come back stronger.... again... lol....

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Absolutely gutted for you.

One thing I've learned from Skylines:

Great cars, but they CAN stop being fun :(

·
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not sure of exact cause

And won't be until I have the funds to get it all pulled apart.

But the pistons were the next weak point, I could just have handled them waiting a year or so before finally giving up the ghost.

Skyline's are always fun. The timing of this failure is so perfect you have to laugh. Because let's face it, bitching like a brat ain't gonna fix it, nor help in any way except piss off the people around me.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Really feel for ya bud, i'm dreading the moment mine finally decides to let go as i know it wont be long.

·
Registered
248 Posts
gutted form u mate just got mine back after nearly 3 months due to 2 pistons going through the block :doh: (oil pump let go)but it will be worth the wait, when u go to pick it up you'll feel like your 8 yrs old on christmas eve :)

·
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good News

Something to say for a well built engine - the car is still usable, just having the boost cut brought down and the rev limit likewise. The damage is a piston ring land, due to sheer pressure, in effect. The car has always been mapped for maximum torque and this is one of the unfortunate side effects.

So, all I have to do is keep an eye on the oil and my lead foot OFF the loud pedal, and it'll run happily while I crank up another five grand.

But, it'll be back with more power... Some fine adjustment in the head gasket size, peak boost and V-Cam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts