Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right seeing as my scooby is completely knackerd, I am now on the lookout for a new car. But I cannot decide on what to get. I been looking at all sorts on pistonheads I want something thats fairly cheap to run but bags of fun. what do you reckon I should get?

·
Shake and Bake !!
491 Posts
I had EXACTLY the same problem when I got rid of the Skyline..

I bought a Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec. It was a bit of a mistake, I got scammed really by the "trader" that bought my Skyline, he had the Honda, I thought.....how bad can it be ?!
Well it lasted a year, cost me 500 quid in fixing it and the insurance went through the roof in year two, clutch was going badly and engine had a nasty low end knock. It was a nail really, but did the job for a year, so I hunted for something else when it broke.

I found a 2004 Vauxhall Coupe Turbo for 3500, managed to get it for 3k pretty much, its a standard car, FSH.
If you can find a car that does the following for 3k I'll be bloody amazed.

2.0 Turbo
79000 miles
197 BHP
Comprehensive insurance about 300 quid
150 mph top end
returns on average 38mpg (nearly 48+ mpg on a long run) (400 miles to a tank is normal)
Turbo charged
OK looking car (bertone styling is nice I think)
Cheap parts, and cheap to fix / service
Massive boot / split folding rear seats
Reliability (although the Skyline never let me down really)
I love turbo cars (can get moving when you want, and potter when you want)
I would say overall 7/10

Things which let it down...
Wind noise from the A pillars is verging on unacceptable
Seats are a bit basic and uncomfortable although I'm getting used to them
I can't personally stick FWD cars, I hate torque steer
Turbo lag is a bit crap from low down
Suspension is too hard really for the type of car
Despite suspension being stiff, it handles like a bag of sh*t
Gearbox isn't brilliant
Brakes are bloody awful

But...when you take into account the money it saves me, the money it cost, and the cruise control is brilliant I'd say there isn't really anything that does what it does for the money in my view. I've added an armrest because stupidly it didn't have one, but other than that, I've not touched it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had EXACTLY the same problem when I got rid of the Skyline..

I bought a Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec. It was a bit of a mistake, I got scammed really by the "trader" that bought my Skyline, he had the Honda, I thought.....how bad can it be ?!
Well it lasted a year, cost me 500 quid in fixing it and the insurance went through the roof in year two, clutch was going badly and engine had a nasty low end knock. It was a nail really, but did the job for a year, so I hunted for something else when it broke.

I found a 2004 Vauxhall Coupe Turbo for 3500, managed to get it for 3k pretty much, its a standard car, FSH.
If you can find a car that does the following for 3k I'll be bloody amazed.

2.0 Turbo
79000 miles
197 BHP
Comprehensive insurance about 300 quid
150 mph top end
returns on average 38mpg (nearly 48+ mpg on a long run) (400 miles to a tank is normal)
Turbo charged
OK looking car (bertone styling is nice I think)
Cheap parts, and cheap to fix / service
Massive boot / split folding rear seats
Reliability (although the Skyline never let me down really)
I love turbo cars (can get moving when you want, and potter when you want)
I would say overall 7/10

Things which let it down...
Wind noise from the A pillars is verging on unacceptable
Seats are a bit basic and uncomfortable although I'm getting used to them
I can't personally stick FWD cars, I hate torque steer
Turbo lag is a bit crap from low down
Suspension is too hard really for the type of car
Despite suspension being stiff, it handles like a bag of sh*t
Gearbox isn't brilliant
Brakes are bloody awful

But...when you take into account the money it saves me, the money it cost, and the cruise control is brilliant I'd say there isn't really anything that does what it does for the money in my view. I've added an armrest because stupidly it didn't have one, but other than that, I've not touched it.
I was looking at the NA 2.0 or the calibra turbo, I know how pants vauxhall's handling is lol I had a 1.2 corsa sxi, with eibach springs and koni shocks and that handled terrible too, sooo much understeer.

·
West Sussex Area Rep
4,952 Posts
can you get these for under 3k? i thought they were more towards 4-6k
I bought my last ST205 GT4 for £1500 was a bit of a gamble but it lasted me the few years i had it and went through every MOT until i bought the skyline. The guy who bought it off me was a well known braker :( on the GT4OC who listed in his advert that every part on it was in perfect condition, so you can find them if you look :)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Blood hell ! I would almost be tempted to part company with my gtst for 3k the way things are going at the moment. There are loads of cars you can get for that sort of money these days.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blood hell ! I would almost be tempted to part company with my gtst for 3k the way things are going at the moment. There are loads of cars you can get for that sort of money these days.
How much would you want for it? ;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Starlet Turbo. A mate of mine has one. 160bhp at around 1bar (bearing in mind it's the size of a tin of beans), insurance group 15, and 35mpg...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts