Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
First time I've posted here... Hopefully get some good and much needed advise.

I drive a R33 GTS-T, got a few mods, HKS Super Dragger, HKS Boost Controller, Blitz Turbo Timer... and a couple more bits and pieces for the engine.
Basically, I normally run at 0.8 or 0.9 Bar with the Boost controller switched on. Otherwise its around 0.45ish with it off.
But the other night, after having a little drive my car was boosting at way over 1.00 Bar!! Sometimes would register 1.35 Bar!!
Obviously I didn't keep doing that.
Stopped the car, turned the boost controller off, turned the car back on, put my foot down, and still... over 1 Bar!!??

Took the car home for the night, thinking that hopefully it was just a heat problem or something?

Started up the car in the morning, let it warm up before putting my foot down, and still... over 1 bar!

But now, the car hardly boosts at all, the blow off from the dump valve sounds cr*p, and it will hardly rev above 4000 - 5000 revs without struggling first.

What do you reckon? Turbo knackered? The car is still drivable... just cant put my foot down.

·
no fun in straight lines
696 Posts
mmm..... thought the overboosting may have been your wastegate actuator bucked, is there any smoke from the exhaust and are you running the standard turbo???

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mmm..... thought the overboosting may have been your wastegate actuator bucked, is there any smoke from the exhaust and are you running the standard turbo???
From what I can see theres no smoke at all. And yes Im running the standard turbo.

·
no fun in straight lines
696 Posts
is she boosting at all now, the standard tubby's dont like to go over 0.85bar. is she still driving ****?

·
Registered
610 Posts
same this happened to me once. although overboosting MAY have busted yer journal bearings in your turbo for boosting over 1 bar, turbo should still have kick and pull wen it winds up. so what u are most likely experiencing is a vacume leak somewhere. first, check all your vacume lines leading to and from your boost controller and make sure non had poped off or cracked. if thats all good, make sure vacume lines on intake manifold are all good and check to see that the lines connected to the dump valve are good also. once u fix and reconnect what is cracked or dissconnected, it should be fine... up to the part u now have a blown turbo

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lunch time today, I decided to take a quick look under the bonnet.
Look what I found.

A line to the Dump Valve.... possibly causing the overboost?

This pipe was half way off

Another angle of the pipe that was half way off

Not sure if this pipe should be connected or not... The engine was hot when I was looking at it, but it looks like the black pipe was blocked off with some sort of plug inside.

I connected these pipes back up, the car is no longer overboosting.... but still doesn't sound or feel right. I can now hear a fast ticking noise when I put my foot down.
There is a bit of boost there, sometimes its good, but most of the time its rubbish. Still not blowing off loudly.
In 3rd gear it struggles to get past 4000 revs by juddering, and backfiring through the exhaust!?

I think I've refitted all the visible pipes back together.
Maybe theres another pipe not connected somewhere?

·
Registered
610 Posts
the first picture would be the reason u are overboosting. the second and third picture will cause abnormal oil pressures when stomping the gas. and in the alst picture, with it disconnected, your engine runs extemely rich because it dumps to atmosphere wen its supposed to recirc. i also suggest connecting the little hose thats connected to your recirv valve on the opposite side of that disconnected pipe.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i also suggest connecting the little hose thats connected to your recirv valve on the opposite side of that disconnected pipe.
Which pipe do you mean? On the opposite side? Can you see it in the picture? Think I'm being blind. Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which pipe do you mean? On the opposite side? Can you see it in the picture? Think I'm being blind. Thanks
Do you mean this bit? I cant find any loose pipe to connect anything onto this?

Also, when I put on the heaters, I dont know if its just me being paranoid, but there seems to be a horrible smell, and some smoke? Not visible straight away, but after a short amount of time, it does start to get smokey in the car.
Asked a mate to stand behind the car, to see if they could see any smoke from the exhaust, gave it a few rev's, but no smoke at all.
The boost controller when off now registers 0.35 bar.
Think I might take it to a tuning place next weekend, see what they say.

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK, the hosing just aboce that blue circle you drew so nicely is supposed to go to that, looks like somebody has tapped into that line probably for the boost gauge, you need to tap into that wit a t fitting or something and reconnect your factory recirc. Should help with some of your rubish running issues.

·
Registered
610 Posts
yea. i dont have the boost controler u have, but ill show u what it shoule looks like after i take some pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts