Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to share my latest achievement with you guys.

PC system for my R34 GTT
designed by: me :boogy:
executed by: me :boogy:

The whole thing took me about two weeks, having only some internals of a broken laptop (mainboard, cpu, screen...etc)

I've started building a support frame for all the laptop bits, this was the most time consuming part,
as i had to figure out some sort of "shock proof" system and provide sufficient cooling.
All fragile parts and the frame ended up in a custom made plastic case filled with foam.
The unit is located in a boot - i didn't want to mess around with car interior to much...

:bounce: Here it is:

It's a Pentium 4 system with 512mb of RAM and semi-decent graphic card, hard drive is currently 60GB.
It is powered using a laptop car charger connected to 12v inside the boot.
Running Windows XP Tablet Edition.
...i think it's enough for all multimedia needs
...NFS Underground 2 is running sweet :drivin::drivin::drivin:

Inside the car we've got a 7" touchscreen with VGA connection, resolution is 1024x768 :)

The whole system is controlled using the touchscreen or this little thing...

...small wireless keyboard with built-in trackball
:gayboy: i have to paint it black...

A bunch of all needed cables (video, audio, usb, power switch)
is running from the boot, behind rear seats, then under the carpet to the tunnel, and straight to the front...

I've installed a mini usb hub inside the car, so anything that operates using usb connection can be plugged in :bananasmile:

GPS unit is located at the back (rear window)...

...and here's the magic button (on, off, on, off, on, off...... :smoker:)

The GPS navigation software is widely available for PC and together with usb unit it is running sweet,
definitely better than any dedicated gps systems out there...
You get nice looking interface, 100% europe coverage, 3d building view, and other cool stuff.
And the best part is - the gps usb unit cost only around £30 :grinno:

In next few days i'm planning to connect the computer to the car ECU unit using a nissan data-scan cable, so i can get some ECU monitoring on screen.
And in the near future it will be conected to e-manage ultimate, but i will have to save up a little first... :dance:

So, tell me what do you think guys...

...and if anyone is interested i will be happy to answer all questions

Cheers
:cheers:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Excellent mate.. nicely done!
I've been thinking about making one for a while - some great ideas there!

·
hwoarang
1,192 Posts
Good work. Greenford road..... Sure I've been there before :)
The only thing I would say about connecting to the e-manage is that you may find the screen a tad small to read off it properly.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What about hooking it up to a rear view camera for parking? or 3 or 4 small cameras inside and out the car for some decent videos?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
what lenght of cables are needed to get from the boot to the dash ???
VGA and USB Extention cables are 5m
The other cables (audio, power switch...etc) were cut by hand
...but it's good to have a little bit of extra on both ends.

What about hooking it up to a rear view camera for parking? or 3 or 4 small cameras inside and out the car for some decent videos?
There are two video-in connections on the TFT unit, so that's easy
but you can also get a Video/Audio USB adapter or cheap USB TV card and connect it directly to the computer. (these devices always have a video-in connection on them)
Personally i think i'll go for USB option, it will allow you to record and store the video on a hard drive as .avi or .mpg files.

...thinking about this for a while now... :doh:
you can actually use any decent webcam for that - they're cheap and use USB anyway...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nice work mate! :D
Did one of these m'self in my old '33... Fit it in the space next to the battery so it was outta sight and I kept the boot space...

I also fitted a camera for rear view when parking but connected it direct to the touchscreen which came on when reverse was selected.

Have fun with it!

Chris ~:)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Its 'Nissan Datascan'.
Info here

Great bit of software - connects from USB straight to the OBD port.
Only works with original ECU (with or without eManage) but NOT with PowerFC, etc...

Can log all the info for later viewing / analysis... (boasting) ;)

·
The Cunning Linguist
13,826 Posts
Its 'Nissan Datascan'.
Info here

Great bit of software - connects from USB straight to the OBD port.
Only works with original ECU (with or without eManage) but NOT with PowerFC, etc...

Can log all the info for later viewing / analysis... (boasting) ;)

Still trying to make my own Iphone stylie version of this.

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
These look excellent, I especially like Chills' little blue box. More details on that space saving little baby would be great! :)

Question set 1:
- How do you control power on and power off on these windows based units? Manually, ignition-controlled (like a CD player) or what?
- Isn't it a bit of a hassle turning it on and off where a normal headunit just comes on and turns off instantly?

Question set 2:
- How do you make the PC register the inputs from the 3rd party touch screen?
- Does the screen have to have an output feeding the PC info on what part of the screen is pressed?
- If so, how would one know what screens support this (which one to buy)?

I'd be interested if the downside of the system isn't too big. Norway has a very decent HSDPA (super 3G) coverage, meaning you can get very fast mobile internet in your car while on the move, with seamless switching between different antennas... would be a passenger's dream!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts