Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey ho everyone my problem is car has a missfire at idle on one cylinder,and runs lean all the time,when i put my foot down missfire clears and off it goes but still running lean.it also has slight stutter if not driving on full throttle, most off the componants have been swapped for known good units but cant seem to cure it,plugs are fine and coilpacks are ruled out as under load there is no missfire,tps has been swapped and icv cleaned again,coil amp swapped and other bits too,throttle response has improved dramatically and have had timing checked,fuel pressure checked and injectors cleaned so am i missing something? as i need it 100% for caning it round the ring so any help appreciated :D

ps its a 94 spec1 gts-t hks induction kit and in house aftermarket exhaust

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been changed already mate and its a weird one as everything seems to be doing as it should just running lean.

·
Registered
285 Posts
check all the injectors are firing when engine is running.
(unplug one at a time and see if engine sound at tickover changes)

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
check all the injectors are firing when engine is running.
(unplug one at a time and see if engine sound at tickover changes)
good idea will do that tommorrow mate cheers

fuel filters been changed and i know the pump is ok as fuel pressure is spot on, lamda is switching fine and have had a diagnostic check on it, i have a a/f/r gauge on my car and it indicates running lean and when at dastek for rolling road i was told my car was running little lean.
and yep running lean is bad but got it back for tonight and it drives a helluva lot better and quicker than before it just misses and stutters at idle once above 1500rpm its off like a rocket.:(

·
Registered
735 Posts
Does the a/f gauge swing from lean to rich or does it just stay on lean?

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it didnt even register until i got on boost and after 3000rpm and on cruise it would go from lean to not even lighting up, tonite it goes from lean to rich and in between constantly after 1500rpm. so idle is my problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
it didnt even register until i got on boost and after 3000rpm and on cruise it would go from lean to not even lighting up
The reason I asked my question before is that at idle and cruising, engines will often be happy running leaner than 14:1, so if your gauge only reads as far as 12.5:1 for example, it would be worth checking it on a rolling road with an accurate wideband lambda sensor.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The reason I asked my question before is that at idle and cruising, engines will often be happy running leaner than 14:1, so if your gauge only reads as far as 12.5:1 for example, it would be worth checking it on a rolling road with an accurate wideband lambda sensor.
That would be rich, lean by definition is anything over 14.7:1 on Petrol.

What device are you using to determine how lean your engine is running. Is it a wideband (5Volts) or narrowband (1Volt) sensor?

What values are you seeing?

·
Registered
164 Posts
That would be rich, lean by definition is anything over 14.7:1 on Petrol.
I wasn't saying otherwise :) Leaner than 14:1 = more lean than 14:1, i.e. higher AFR than 14:1. I haven't heard any mention of AFRs in question here, but if he can only "see" as lean as 12:1, it may appear that his engine's running dangerously lean when there is no problem at all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know that, but I still don't know yet what our troubled Skyline driver is seeing, or even what his gauge will let him see! Am waiting for some numbers :)

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
unfortunately its an led lit narrow band a/f/r gauge it doesnt say what its at just, red dangerous yellow cruising and green batter hell out of it,i have had it at a rolling road day and if i can read the sheet right, the graphshows 16 under 2000 rpm dropping to above 12 at 7000rpm if that makes sense as it was a dastek r/r. it was commented that the car was running slightly lean then in april and the fault was there as it is now.i have had it at checked again and been told it is running very lean. but it seems to coincide with my idle problem? hope this helps and thanks for your help so far:cheers:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
A narrowband is almost useless, it only reads aprox. +-0.5 range around stoich. But yes 16 is a little lean.

I would think you have an air leak in the manifold, or bov.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts