Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sir Snap a lot
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, I'm looking for information on storing my car or finding a good quality cover for it.

I'm in Dublin west and would like somewhere safe/ dry and as close by as possible so I can work on the car.
I don't mind crossing over into Meath or Kildare but don't want it too far over the border.

The car won't have insurance while its parked up so it will have to be very secure location!!

Failing that, where can I find a good quality car cover, preferably one that can be locked via a cable to stop it blowing away or been lifted by kids/ scum?

If you have any experience with Argos/ halfords etc whether it be good or bad can you share please?
The car is outside my house so no car bubbles or other attention grabbing covers...

I know there are lots of people looking for storage, so if you are going to suggest somewhere please add all the details- location/ dry/ safe/ price/ insurance/ contact details etc

·
4,539 Posts
Go for storage bud, car covers always get nicked.
You lot must stay in dodgy areas, my R33 sat under a cover for the good part of a year and no one touched it :). Don't get a cheap cover from Halfrauds or Argos as they just rub the paintwork and mark it all, you need a good quality all weather cover but they are not cheap, your probably looking at £160 - £200 for a ally good one.

Storage is the best option if you can find some close by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

T

·
0 Posts
Mine didn't get stolen from me, It got "stolen" from the pleb I lent it to.

·
Sir Snap a lot
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go for storage bud, car covers always get nicked.
Storage would be ideal but is looking expensive and far away...
The car hasn't been touched in six years of been outside the house but there is a lot of scum local so haveing the cover nicked is a concern.

You lot must stay in dodgy areas, my R33 sat under a cover for the good part of a year and no one touched it :). Don't get a cheap cover from Halfrauds or Argos as they just rub the paintwork and mark it all, you need a good quality all weather cover but they are not cheap, your probably looking at £160 - £200 for a ally good one.

Storage is the best option if you can find some close by.
Cheers for the advice, argos and halfords where the first two places I looked.
Any details on quality car cover suppliers?
Or what makes a quality all weather car cover?

I'll mind it for the winter, I won't do any skids, promise****
lol, your place would be ideal but I don't think you have any dry storage and the dry bit is as important as the safe.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I rent a garage from local council, 25squid a month, roof, walls, and a nice heavy set door, with a anti nitrogen lock :) cant cut thro that ***** either with SERIOUS effort, i know cause i tested one at work haha :)

So consider that bud.

·
Sir Snap a lot
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rent a garage from local council, 25squid a month, roof, walls, and a nice heavy set door, with a anti nitrogen lock :) cant cut thro that ***** either with SERIOUS effort, i know cause i tested one at work haha :)

So consider that bud.
That would be perfect for me, if it wasn't so far away.
Shame there is nothing like that here in Ireland.

Anti nitrogen lock???

·
Sir Snap a lot
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea people can freeze the locks makes the metal britol, then just smash it off. this padlock is anti that :)
Sweet, sounds like a tough lock, I've just bought two cirular locks for my shed door, they are rated 8 out of 10 for hardness but like 2410Dave said, if they want it, they will find a way.
It is just nice to know you made them work for it.

I've found out from another forum that Wez of Team WKD is offering dry storage in Carlow, there is also a place beside CDA in Meath but I am waiting for more details on that one.

I'll post up any details I get so anyone doing a search in future will have details here.

·
4,539 Posts
Sweet hope you get something.

Mine sits just down the road from me in a single garage in a quiet wee street that is full of old people and is neighbour hood watch, every time I open my garage the wee old man who's house looks straight at it is alway checking who it is, so I am happy knowing that they are watching it for me and they always say hello :)

I want to get a cover for inside too but one that won't mark the paintwork, does anyone know any good ones? Indoor use only.

Davie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
323 Posts

Just for your info. I have one of those "stormforce" Covers on my Skyline. Can only say I would recommend one.
Since the recession came to town its been parked up on the Ma's driveway. This is the covers second winter. I polish the car wax it. Throw a old rug on the spoiler as corners are bit sharp. To secure it against wind and theft I cable tie the straps underneath and punched holes in the front of it and I secure with more ties through the towing hooks.
No problems so far in a Dublin housing estate.
When I take the cover off in spring the car is mint.

·
Sir Snap a lot
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just for your info. I have one of those "stormforce" Covers on my Skyline. Can only say I would recommend one.
Since the recession came to town its been parked up on the Ma's driveway. This is the covers second winter. I polish the car wax it. Throw a old rug on the spoiler as corners are bit sharp. To secure it against wind and theft I cable tie the straps underneath and punched holes in the front of it and I secure with more ties through the towing hooks.
No problems so far in a Dublin housing estate.
When I take the cover off in spring the car is mint.
Cheers buddy, that is good to know, I don't have a driveway so was worried about leaving it outside.

·
Sir Snap a lot
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts